• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Paul Tisdale - Ex-Bristol Rovers Manager to Col Utd now Stevenage

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
No disagreement with John William regarding the facts of the issue.

Can also see why eurogrecian refers to 'obsessive' as any thread mentioning Tisdale certainly runs and runs and usually ends up discussing our shared history with him.
As per this one, which is ostensibly about Paul's new role at Stevenage.

I think what muddies the water emotionally are the other factors in play at the time.

The 'Tisdale Out' movement.
The bottom of the league placing at the time of the motion being proposed.
The matchday 'protest' in Red Square where Tis, Stevie P and Taggy's Range Rover were all brought into play for the benefit of the Beeb and the Echo.
The antipathy between Tis and elements of the crowd.

Emotions colour things.
Pulling a goal back for a draw feels better than losing a goal for a draw.
The draw is still the fact.

I suspect emotion played a huge part in both Tisdale's eventual decision, Steve Perryman's reaction later and the way events are remembered by several on here.

The main thing for me, emotionally, is that the Club was steered in the right direction during Tis's years for which I give thanks and that he was correct in his decision to leave.

ExmouthMart

I can't speak for others but no sour grapes here, as I have consistently said I had great respect for him as a person and a manager until the latter stages of his and SPs time at City. He was certainly an unusual manager in the world of football, and as Oscar Wilde would have said, he is still being talked about.

But what you post is factually incorrect.

As I and others have explained, "we" (ie the Trust membership) did not want to push Tis out, only to make his contract position fairer. It was not a case of "we couldn’t afford it anymore", simply a contract variation for which it was first necessary to issue a termination of the old one. The Trust and Trust Board had had no say in his original appointment nor later improved contract (nor should they, he was a Club employee) but the Trust's membership had the right and duty as majority shareholder to act in what it saw was the best overall interests of Exeter City. Tis was offered a different contract to replace the rolling one. As was his right, he decided to take up an opportunity elsewhere.

What is often forgotten here is that Tis was an employee, albeit the most important and highest paid one, of a business majority-owned by +/- 3,000 supporters. The owners of a company have a right to control the terms on which it employs its staff and vary those, provided they do so in a way consistent with employment law. Neither Tis nor SP had an ownership role and SP was not even an employee, he was paid as a consultant through an overseas company as was stated in the Club's annual accounts.

End of story.
Make his contract position fairer?! As I said it was great when we offered it to him in the first place. No one seems to argue about that but only when it eventually looked like he had run out of ideas did we eventually decide to move the goalposts. Was he not expected to react like he did and throw his toys out the pram?!
I also struggle with this Trust/Club Board situation. You say the Trust had no say in his appointment or improved contract offer but then go on to say the owners of a company have a right to control the terms on which it employs it’s staff and vary those ………?! Is it not right that The Trust Board is elected from The Owners ie ‘The Supporters’ to oversee the control of running the club. To do this on a day to day basis The Trust appointed a Club Board to do this. Maybe I’m obtuse but this definition of who does what and who is actually making the real decisions and who is at the end of the day is accountable for them is not immediately clear. I suppose this is what the village fete committee jibes and Perrymans ‘ amateurs’ outburst are about.

muppetdodger

Can also see why eurogrecian refers to 'obsessive' as any thread mentioning Tisdale certainly runs and runs and usually ends up discussing our shared history with him.

I think what muddies the water emotionally are the other factors in play at the time.

The matchday 'protest' in Red Square where Tis, Stevie P and Taggy's Range Rover were all brought into play for the benefit of the Beeb and the Echo.

Emotions colour things.

I suspect emotion played a huge part in both Tisdale's eventual decision, Steve Perryman's reaction later and the way events are remembered by several on here.

The main thing for me, emotionally, is that the Club was steered in the right direction during Tis's years for which I give thanks and that he was correct in his decision to leave.
Correct in his decision to leave, but wholly wrong in how he went about it.

Reactions: WXF

muppetdodger

Emotions colour things.

Correct in his decision to leave, but wholly wrong in how he went about it.

iscalad

Make his contract position fairer?! As I said it was great when we offered it to him in the first place. No one seems to argue about that but only when it eventually looked like he had run out of ideas did we eventually decide to move the goalposts. Was he not expected to react like he did and throw his toys out the pram?!
I also struggle with this Trust/Club Board situation. You say the Trust had no say in his appointment or improved contract offer but then go on to say the owners of a company have a right to control the terms on which it employs it’s staff and vary those ………?! Is it not right that The Trust Board is elected from The Owners ie ‘The Supporters’ to oversee the control of running the club. To do this on a day to day basis The Trust appointed a Club Board to do this. Maybe I’m obtuse but this definition of who does what and who is actually making the real decisions and who is at the end of the day is accountable for them is not immediately clear. I suppose this is what the village fete committee jibes and Perrymans ‘ amateurs’ outburst are about.
I could be wrong, but the news of his 2 year roller only came out when we were doing so badly in the league.

older-codger

Fact 1 - He was given a 2 year rolling contract when his achievements warranted it and to protect the Club's interest
Fact 2 - When his achievements were not going well he was offered a new fixed term contract with improved terms. This required giving 2 years notice in accordance with his existing contract
Fact 3 - He chose not to accept the contract and negotiated a contract with MK instead
Fact 4 - He is now the manager at Stevenage
Fact 5 - He is history as far as ECFC is concerned and unless people want to join the modern trend to re-write history, there is little point in regurgitating the past

eurogrecian

Not wishing to appear rude but IMHO your words in brackets are unnecessary and quite ridiculous. First of all I don’t consider anyone on here to be as you put it in either way “obsessive” second no one in their right mind would argue that after he joined for five seasons every season was an improvement on the previous one and to use your word were terrific.
No need to apologize, everybody is entitled to their opinions. The reality is that the 'PE teacher' stuff etc started very soon after he arrived and continued non-stop until he left! I do appreciate that much of this was before you joined Exeweb.

Anyway, hope he can sort himself out at Stevenage (except on 26 March of course) and I'm sure everybody will agree that anybody is better than Graham Westley. :)

Grecian2K

Poor chap seems even more disconsolate and out of his depth than in his final days here.
Will he even make it to 26th March?

David Treharne

Compare and contrast the above with the asessment made by our current Manager after Saturday's game. Points given for body language, clarity of expression, even-ness of assessment of opposition, protection of individual players and realism {and that's without talking about the quaility of the teachnique in interviwing and quality of camera work}.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did Perryman follow him after MK Dons, perhaps that is what he needs a mentor with contacts and experience