• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Afghanistan

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes I have heard that. It's probably even more outlandish than Trump becoming president in the first place. So yes, will definitely therefore happen.

Problem is, were it to happen, there won't be any popcorn left.
And as the same as Afghanistan Civil War would ensue, No way would the other side "Accept" this as legitimate and they have a lot of guns in the US.

Grecian2K

Some in the GOP have a plan which seems to be taken seriously by some (Kevin McCarthy for one).
Win control of congress in 2022.
Install Trump as Speaker of the House.
Impeach both the President and VP so that the Speaker assumes power.

In normal times I would consider that ridiculous.
In these days of the Big Lie and politicians using dishonesty as a strategy rather than a get out, and with a weary look back at the tragicomedy of history, I'm not so sure.
Isn't this similar to what a certain Herr Hitler did with the Reichstag and then the Chancellery back in the 1930s?

Spoonz Red E

Isn't this similar to what a certain Herr Hitler did with the Reichstag and then the Chancellery back in the 1930s?
As I say ...
"with a weary look back at the tragicomedy of history"

Alistair20000

Some in the GOP have a plan which seems to be taken seriously by some (Kevin McCarthy for one).
Win control of congress in 2022.
Install Trump as Speaker of the House.
Impeach both the President and VP so that the Speaker assumes power.

In normal times I would consider that ridiculous.
In these days of the Big Lie and politicians using dishonesty as a strategy rather than a get out, and with a weary look back at the tragicomedy of history, I'm not so sure.
I thought a 2/3 Senate majority is needed to successfully impeach the President. The Republicans are not going to secure that in 2022.

Spoonz Red E

I thought a 2/3 Senate majority is needed to successfully impeach the President. The Republicans are not going to secure that in 2022.
I agree with you.
Wouldn't put it past the current GOP to try and change the rules 'though.
Look at the games they played with Supreme Court nominees.

I'm putting what faith I have in the process underway to force disclosure and accountability for some of the shenanigans of the last few years.
I realise that makes me open to being perceived as overly sanguine but rather that than world weariness.

Alistair20000

Well done Sleepy Joe.
We’ve got ourselves another Jimmy Carter! 🙄😡
If you thought Jimmy Carter was bad I am afraid Biden is in a different league. I have just watched his Address to the Nation. A tired and broken man with no real grasp of what is going on in the world. It is as sad as it is dangerous.

Mr Jinx

If you thought Jimmy Carter was bad I am afraid Biden is in a different league. I have just watched his Address to the Nation. A tired and broken man with no real grasp of what is going on in the world. It is as sad as it is dangerous.
Wrt the Sleepy situation, I think it's quickly gone from amusing to alarming in the space of ten short days.

Xi & Vlad must be wringing their hands, both currently working on their own schedule of land grabs. And I'm not necessarily talking from a geographic perspective. And that's before you get to the roguer nations of Iran and N Korea.

The end of times for the US.

Trump, for all his faults, was a bombast whose cage you wouldn't really want to rattle. Sleepy on the other had has problem's remembering his kids' names.

Last edited:

tavyred

The end of times for the US.
All empires must fall.

Banksy

Too old for a start…..

Alistair20000

Too old for a start…..
I don't like criticising on the grounds of age alone but you have to think that the job in question needs a younger person.

Not sure his advisors are up to much. The Secretary of State Antony Blinken does not impress me.