• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Afghanistan

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Simple question, After 20 years and UK forces loss of life, Not forgetting other allied forces and cilvians who also died was it worth it?

Rosencrantz

Simple question, After 20 years and UK forces loss of life, Not forgetting other allied forces and cilvians who also died was it worth it?
I know asylum seekers gets some people worked but I really hope we do the right thing by ALL those who helped our armed forces over the years and do not leave them and their families to be picked off by the Taliban. Also fear for the safety of those women and girls who might have exercised some freedoms of stuff like, you know, education.

DB9

I know asylum seekers gets some people worked but I really hope we do the right thing by ALL those who helped our armed forces over the years and do not leave them and their families to be picked off by the Taliban. Also fear for the safety of those women and girls who might have exercised some freedoms of stuff like, you know, education.
Exactly my point, All the good work done by our forces like girls feeling safe to get an education will be all for nothing as it stands, The Taliban have taken back huge swathes of the country and with weak forces and military leaders the Afghan forces will crumble. As for those that helped the allies like interpreters they should be flown out and allowed to settle here.

Banksy

Those slobs will take the country back to the dark ages if they get the chance. What drives their twisted brains I wonder?

DB9

Those slobs will take the country back to the dark ages if they get the chance. What drives their twisted brains I wonder?
I have no idea, Its a weird country where its ruled by regional Warlords, In fact being a Country per say doesn't suit it. Drugs are it's main export, I don't even think the Allied Forces interfered with that industry, One thing is for sure, Foreign forces or Countries trying to impose their will on the place will fail, They have for the last 100 or so years.

Alistair20000

I have no idea, Its a weird country where its ruled by regional Warlords, In fact being a Country per say doesn't suit it. Drugs are it's main export, I don't even think the Allied Forces interfered with that industry, One thing is for sure, Foreign forces or Countries trying to impose their will on the place will fail, They have for the last 100 or so years.
Yep, short of total war and total defeat inflicted on the enemy, messing in the countries of others rarely pays off.

Last edited:

DB9

Hey, short of total war and total defeat inflicted on the enemy, messing in the countries of others rarely pays off.
Guess you're right, You'd thought Vietnam would have been a lesson to the bigger powers. One thing they never achieved was bring the population with them, Its still poor as it ever was and if one thing is true, Abject poverty is the best breeding ground for the Taliban.

elginCity

Simple answer; no.

Rosencrantz

Never go into a conflict you don't know how to get out of. No one would have bothered with the Taliban or Afghanistan if it hadn't been for OBL and 9/11. It was a byproduct of going after him and AQ. As the well known philosopher said, or actually I think it was Eddie Izzard, no one cares or does anything much if the evil sods "just" kill their own people.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
100 years ?

And the rest.