• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Goal keeper required (Jökull Andrésson signs!)for Morecambe and back for Exeter! Signs for Stevenage

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have to disagree. I've been watching City for 40 odd years now and, relative to the number of games he'd played, would say Jokull was, by some distance, the best keeper we've had in that time. Moreover, he was only going to get better.

As regards his distribution, it wasn't as good as, say, Christy's, but neither was it awful. I think any deficiencies he might have in this regard have been much exaggerated by one or two.
Kevin Miller > Jokull.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Kevin Miller > Jokull.
Don't disagree, but Jokull was 18 when he was playing for us last season, Big Kev didn't join us until he was 20.

AmberRed

Have to disagree. I've been watching City for 40 odd years now and, relative to the number of games he'd played, would say Jokull was, by some distance, the best keeper we've had in that time. Moreover, he was only going to get better.

As regards his distribution, it wasn't as good as, say, Christy's, but neither was it awful. I think any deficiencies he might have in this regard have been much exaggerated by one or two.
As they say, 'football is a game of opinions'!! Pym has proved himself in L1 and gained promotion to the Championship, let's see if Jokull can do the same. Also, Jokull was 19 when he joined us!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting timing with the signing of the new contract. Reckon we pulled out all the stops to get him – be it on loan or permanently - and when it didn't happen he reassessed his options at Reading.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
I doubt this is the first target that has turned us down.You take the rewards for success and you pay for your failure. We have consistently failed to get out of L2.We can't throw away money on high wages,so we have to attract players through promotion.

wiveygrecian

Interesting timing with the signing of the new contract. Reckon we pulled out all the stops to get him – be it on loan or permanently - and when it didn't happen he reassessed his options at Reading.

We tried very hard to get him permanently. It wasn’t to be .

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting discussion re the ice man v big Kev. For my part I'd have to say I'd have big Kev over Jokull at this point in time. Jokull still had elements of his game that needed working on while Kev Miller, by the time he left us for Brum, was pretty much all round strong and a very accomplished keeper as we all know. Jokull can get there though.

Reactions: DB9

Ash

I loved Jokull and I have no doubt he'll go on to play at a high level. But his distribution was cr@p. Multiple kicks per game would go low enough to be in serious danger of being blocked or intercepted in bad areas, although we didn't pay a price for that except once iirc. His kicking improved during his time with us though and in one interview he acknowledged that it was a part of his game that needed work and that he was putting that work in on the training ground. He's a baby in goalkeeping terms so loads of time to get much better in all areas, not just distribution.
I know nothing about the depth of Icelandic goalkeeping options but as there are only around 130,000 Icelandic males and perhaps only 30,000 in the age range to be a professional footballer, I suspect we'll see him on the international arena sooner rather than later.

Phillip

Interesting that Reading see something in him to give him a 3 year contract. He is still very young for a keeper so after a successful loan spell with us in League 2 it makes sense that they are interested in how he performs in League 1. Also I suspect at Morecambe he's going to be very busy next season.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting that Reading see something in him to give him a 3 year contract. He is still very young for a keeper so after a successful loan spell with us in League 2 it makes sense that they are interested in how he performs in League 1. Also I suspect at Morecambe he's going to be very busy next season.
They see him as an investment...keep him under contract and someone will pay decent money for him. Reading have a team full of keepers including James Holden who has gone on a season long loan to Maidenhead and might have been a thought.