• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
The old railway semaphore signal post that was beside the A82 in Ballachulish.Finally removed last year.I noticed it was gone on my drive to Fort William.
It had stood there unused since 1966 & even survived when the road was widened & straightened using some of the old trackbed in the 1980s.
A bit of a landmark,that is probably in someone’s collection/back garden now.
Here you are mate!

As you say, sadly now just a "distant" memory.

Oldsmobile-88

Here you are mate!

As you say, sadly now just a "distant" memory.
Wonderful G2K...Had been seeing that one since my first trip to Fort William with my parents in a bright Yellow VW Golf in 1976.The day that Mao Tse Tung died just to add a bit of trivia 😎

Oldsmobile-88

Butchers in shops wearing straw boater hats

Banksy

9F9E389E-395F-4133-95F1-6DECA3CD75F7.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

Full sized spare wheels on new cars or a spare wheel at all for many.

Banksy

Full sized spare wheels on new cars or a spare wheel at all for many.
Grrr.All I got with my Nissan Juke was some air pump thingy and a bottle of gunk to put in the tyre to ( supposedly) seal the puncture. what do you do if both tyres go at the same time , which is what happened to me a month ago.The council were ‘ repairing potholes , of which we have many here out in the sticks on the country lanes.Shards of flinty stuff went into both but luckily I was only a couple of miles from home.At least with my Nissan Qashqai I got one of those silly reduced size things. Last decent spare I got was ten years ago with a BMW.

Oldsmobile-88

Most vans still have a spare wheel(or they did)

The spare wheels on works vans for the company I worked for were all removed about 20 years ago.
They did not want the driver changing them in a era of risk assessment.I could see the wisdom in that.
They were paying for the 2 hour wait for a tyre company to come out & fit a new tyre through a vehicle management company.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Grrr.All I got with my Nissan Juke was some air pump thingy and a bottle of gunk to put in the tyre to ( supposedly) seal the puncture. what do you do if both tyres go at the same time , which is what happened to me a month ago.The council were ‘ repairing potholes , of which we have many here out in the sticks on the country lanes.Shards of flinty stuff went into both but luckily I was only a couple of miles from home.At least with my Nissan Qashqai I got one of those silly reduced size things. Last decent spare I got was ten years ago with a BMW.
Ought to be on the Feckin Dire thread. Had to have a ride home in a recovery wagon as my tyre was split. Moaned about it on Exeweb at the time. That eased the pain.

fred binneys head

Run flats are the way forward.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Or a spare wheel with a tyre on in the boot.