• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The old railway semaphore signal post that was beside the A82 in Ballachulish.Finally removed last year.I noticed it was gone on my drive to Fort William.
It had stood there unused since 1966 & even survived when the road was widened & straightened using some of the old trackbed in the 1980s.
A bit of a landmark,that is probably in someone’s collection/back garden now.

Oldsmobile-88

The K-Tel record selector.Advert is from around 1972 I would guess.
K-Tel also advertised their compilation albums on TV around the same time iirc.

Banksy

940DCAE8-8623-4556-A66B-7F85C78D5363.jpegB9E0FAD9-8963-4E42-B9C4-F8A0EB2A5822.jpeg

Rosencrantz

I remember seeing one of these on the children's ward as a little kid and being mesmerised by it. They still around?

Grecian2K

Oldsmobile-88

Fast becoming a thing of the past.

Remember the Cooling Tower from the coal power station beside the railway station in Newton Abbot G2K ?

It went in the mid 1970s iirc.

Colesman Ballz

Fast becoming a thing of the past.

Remember the Cooling Tower from the coal power station beside the railway station in Newton Abbot G2K ?

It went in the mid 1970s iirc.
Oh that Nuclear power stations were so easily disposed of when redundant ! Hinckley Point will scar the Somerset landscape for centuries ! :mad:

Alistair20000

Oh that Nuclear power stations were so easily disposed of when redundant ! Hinckley Point will scar the Somerset landscape for centuries ! :mad:
Should have built it near Plymouth. To improve the landscape.

Oldsmobile-88

Stink bombs..A regular purchase from The Joke Shop in Fore St in the 1970s.
I was reminded of them reading this front page.!

The story at the bottom.The polls was a tad out 🤣
CC04CB37-5F6B-4F66-A2DF-E671EB3C6188.jpeg

Alistair20000

1970 General Election a disaster for the polling companies, and for the slippery Mr Wilson.

I was re-watching the BBC coverage of it the other day and was reminded that they did an exit poll in Gravesend that pretty well got the overall result right. Took years from then to develop exit polls which is surprising.

On the day of the 1970 general election, the BBC sent a team of reporters to Gravesend, a place “shown by a computer to be the most ordinary constituency in England”.

Their task was to carry out what the BBC’s election anchor Cliff Michelmore trumpeted as “something entirely new”: an exit poll, based on the premise that “if you know how Gravesend votes, you know how the nation votes”.

After quizzing people as they left polling stations, the team concluded that this “ordinary constituency” was about to elect a Conservative MP, and that Britain was therefore set for a Tory government – something the national opinion polls had suggested was not likely to happen.

But the exit poll was right. What the Sunday Times dubbed “Gravesend Man” had anticipated the outcome of the 1970 election before any results had been officially declared. Even the Gravesend exit poll’s swing turned out to be almost spot on, being just 0.5 points below the actual Gravesend swing, and only 0.4 points below what turned out to be the national swing.