• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I might decide to answer your questions when you decide to answer mine.
What do you want answered gaffer ?

IndoMike

Brexit won’t be deemed a success or failure after just 6 months.
Where we can make an immediate judgment is about those (like you?) who predicted an immediate negative effect on the U.K. economy.
It hasn’t happened Indo has it? 🤷‍♂️
Your imagination running riot again, Tavy. You lose all credibility when you make up stories.

tavyred

Your imagination running riot again, Tavy. You lose all credibility when you make up stories.
You deny the predictions by some of an immediate post referendum recession if we voted out?

angelic upstart

Brexit won’t be deemed a success or failure after just 6 months.
I'd like to add, that it's very likely people will see things differently and therefore it'll always be subjective. This happening during covid is also muddying the waters somewhat. Important to remember that.

For me, I've noticed price rises on some food, and worse use by dates on what I buy. Some items seem to run out quicker too. Is this due to Brexit, possibly. Is this due to people being less willing to move during a pandemic, also equally possibly. It will be a few years before we know any kind of real answer.

tavyred

I think it would’ve been a reasonable assumption by some to think that Brexit would’ve compounded the negative effects of COVID rather than us kind of struggling to find a negative economic indicator due to Brexit specifically.
I personally haven’t noticed any change in my supermarket shopping, inflation is up but it seems to be mirroring other countries rather us being an outlier because of Brexit.
GDP is expected to grow strongly this year and next, so the macro economic picture is good and again in comparison to other countries we are not lagging behind as some remainers would have us believe.
So I repeat where is the negative Brexit effect on the economy?
It may come, but it’s nowhere to be seen yet.

IndoMike

You deny the predictions by some of an immediate post referendum recession if we voted out?
I don't remember saying that we would have an immediate recession, but I might have done to annoy you. Let's face it, the economy is not going screamingly well.
Now, when are you going to answer my questions without evading the issue. And don't ask me which questions to play for time

elginCity

Maybe “the science” supports the view that there is a negligible health risk from this but after BSE I would want a lot of persuading on that.

It looks to me that the decision is based on money rather than public health and animal husbandry reasons.

What does Elgy think of his beloved EU on this one ?
What do I think, Al ? As you rightly say, there is no longer any discernible risk post-British mad cow disease, so why not feed the pigs as they once did pre-mad cow. It’s what the farmers have been calling for, after all.

Unlike some, nobody in Europe is trying to make a silk purse out of the sows ears.

Last edited:

IndoMike

What do I think, Al ? As you rightly say, there is no longer any discernible risk post-British mad cow disease, so why not feed the pigs as they once did pre-mad cow. It’s what the farmers have been calling for, after all.

Unlike some, nobody in Europe is trying to make a silk purse out of the sows ears.
To be honest, we're going to have to stop eating meat sooner or later. I don"t have the willpower to do that yet but considering the amount of land cattle rearing takes up and health risks I wouldn't be surprised if in 30 years time there was no meat consumed

tavyred

Looks like Matt Hancock (fannyrat) has been caught dipping his wick. I’ve defended that chap for months, can’t defend this. If you’re a Minister tasked with guiding the country through the biggest crisis since WW2 you don’t find time for a bit of ‘extra curricular’ I’m afraid.
Got to go.

DB9

Looks like Matt Hancock (fannyrat) has been caught dipping his wick. I’ve defended that chap for months, can’t defend this. If you’re a Minister tasked with guiding the country through the biggest crisis since WW2 you don’t find time for a bit of ‘extra curricular’ I’m afraid.
Got to go.
Yep, Just looked at the photos and it's certainly not a peck on the cheek. Time for a statement with his family beside him saying "Error of judgement and my wife is standing by me"? Do you think this was Cummings who leaked these?