• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is there a limit to when we stop getting money for his England appearances? Vaguely recall its when Brentford get £5m from them (so we get 15% of that in total?)
Think we're heading towards a 6.5m total transfer payment for Ollie. Quite incredible for Div 2 side

andrew p long

Is there a limit to when we stop getting money for his England appearances? Vaguely recall its when Brentford get £5m from them (so we get 15% of that in total?)
Yes, when Villa have paid out the £5m to Brentford (750k to City) in add ons for Villa staying up and Ollie playing for England .

(there is a school of thought that we are more or less guaranteed the maximum anyway , because we get that if Villa stay in the Premiership for 5 years)

JJ red&white

Total income from Watkins so far;

Initial fee = £1,800,000
Main sell on = (28m-1.8m)*15% = £3,930,000
England competitive sub app = £75,000
England friendly sub app = £37,500
Villa staying up = £150,000
Total Earnt to date = £5,992,500

The maximum from the add ons we can still earn is £487,500 which is £750k of Brentford's £5m less £262.5k already earned.

He is miles ahead compared to our next highest earner which was the flat fee for Grimes. I created the table below, but this is putting an estimate of the reported Chrisene fee, doesnt include Stansfield fees, and doesnt include any of the Ampadu Loan fee add ons we have earnt from Chelsea.

andrew p long

does that make Ollie the most expensive League Two player ever?

(NB on the Chrisene fee, I think the club (Taggy?) said that it was nothing like 800k. But I suspect it was a low up front fee with loads of potential add ons.)

Fareham Grecian

does that make Ollie the most expensive League Two player ever?

(NB on the Chrisene fee, I think the club (Taggy?) said that it was nothing like 800k. But I suspect it was a low up front fee with loads of potential add ons.)
Even the basic fee made him that

budegrecian

Total income from Watkins so far;

Initial fee = £1,800,000
Main sell on = (28m-1.8m)*15% = £3,930,000
England competitive sub app = £75,000
England friendly sub app = £37,500
Villa staying up = £150,000
Total Earnt to date = £5,992,500

The maximum from the add ons we can still earn is £487,500 which is £750k of Brentford's £5m less £262.5k already earned.

He is miles ahead compared to our next highest earner which was the flat fee for Grimes. I created the table below, but this is putting an estimate of the reported Chrisene fee, doesnt include Stansfield fees, and doesnt include any of the Ampadu Loan fee add ons we have earnt from Chelsea.

View attachment 6209
Thanks for this, but to be absolutely accurate we have already had some add ons for Ethan, according to Taggy, as the loan fees Chelsea have so far amassed have exceeded initial fee & we therefore receive 20% of the amount above this.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed. two big moments. An early link up with Grealish that set Grealish free in the penalty area near the by-line. If Grealish and DCL had been on the same wave length then Calvert-Lewin would have had a six yard box tap in.

At the end Ollie travelling 60 yards with the ball from ten yards outside England' s penalty area to ten yards outside the opposition penalty box. Just what was needed to relieve pressure on what was by then a ten man England

(though I did think Ollie didn't quite understand the system (wide left in a midfield four?) and could have done more defensively to prevent crosses coming in to England's box)
Cheers Andrew as you say two big moments. You and I were definitely watching the same game that was exactly how I saw it too.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
doesnt include any of the Ampadu Loan fee add-ons we have earnt from Chelsea.
Thanks for this, but to be absolutely accurate we have already had some add-ons for Ethan, according to Taggy, as the loan fees Chelsea have so far amassed have exceeded initial fee & we therefore receive 20% of the amount above this.
Yes. From what Taggy and FD Keith Mason said I suspect our 20% of the loan fees for 2 seasons for Ampadu are significant - over £0.25M, maybe more. I guess we'll be told the figures at the Trust AGM, if not before.

Every bit of extra cash is always useful to the Club, of course, for all sorts of projects.

StudentGrecian

Even the basic fee made him that
I believe Paulo Gazzaniga's move from Gillingham to Southampton was higher than Ollie's basic fee, but Ollie's add ons have taken him past that fee by miles.

SimonBB

Nick Powell was around 6million but I guess he was a league one player by the time the offer came in