• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Fearsome boxer in his day. His fight with Tommy "Hitman" Hearns was a classic even if it was over in three rounds.
Absolutely, although Hearns was my favourite boxer so I was gutted. But Hagler was an animal. A brilliant boxer.

elginCity

Anti-vaxxer controversy after the Hitman claiming Hagler was in ICU as a result of the vaccine.

STURTZ

Was in town the night Hagler tore Minter apart, poisonous atmosphere. Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Leonard made the middleweight division such a force in the early eighties.

Rosencrantz

Was in town the night Hagler tore Minter apart, poisonous atmosphere. Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Leonard made the middleweight division such a force in the early eighties.
Hagler also beat British hope Tony Sibson in six rounds for the World Title. Football raconteur Fred Eyre tells a story of him sitting next to Tony Sibson preparing to do an after dinner speech. Just as he was being introduced by the MC, Sibson leaned across and told him that he wouldn't do what Fred was about to do for a million quid. Fred replied but you've just fought Marvin Hagler! Nothing would get me in the ring with Marvellous Marvin!

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Martin Johnson.

Not the famed England rugby captain, but the sports journalist.

Always enjoyed reading his wry observations on sport, especially cricket and golf.

Rosencrantz

Martin Johnson.

Not the famed England rugby captain, but the sports journalist.

Always enjoyed reading his wry observations on sport, especially cricket and golf.
Always a somewhat feisty writer on cricket which was enjoyable. Will probably be always remembered for his pre - 86/87 Ashes quote “There are only three things wrong with this England team: they can’t bat, they can’t bowl and they can’t field.” I am not sure if the follow up a few weeks later of "right quote, wrong team" is apocryphal or not :)

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
“There are only three things wrong with this England team"
Whereas Mike Yarwood, as Brian Clough, said it was: "Sir....Alf....Ramsey".

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Always a somewhat feisty writer on cricket which was enjoyable. Will probably be always remembered for his pre - 86/87 Ashes quote “There are only three things wrong with this England team: they can’t bat, they can’t bowl and they can’t field.” I am not sure if the follow up a few weeks later of "right quote, wrong team" is apocryphal or not :)
No it was true. It went in the intro to the last test report. I have his book "can't bat, can't bowl. can't field". A rib-tickler throughout although interesting to read how much the game has changed. 3 day first class cricket, the 'sunday league', no TV reviews, home umpires, etc. It also coincided with a period in the mid 80's to mid 90's when England were increasingly hopeless (1986/7 Ashes excepted!)

Mr Jinx

Yaphet Kotto. American actor, 81. His biggest role was perhaps in Alien.

STURTZ

Yaphet Kotto. American actor, 81. His biggest role was perhaps in Alien.
The way he burst out of that blokes chest....amazing!