• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Stop it, you'll give me a Hermia.
Oh dear. Does anyone have the number for Liz Truss?

Anyhow, just clinging on to the promised hope that it will be Oberon 21st June.

Mr Jinx

Does anyone have the number for Liz Truss?
I wish I did, sigh.

Somewhere between Caroline Flint's and Penny Mordaunt's.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree. Regarding Johnson doing another U turn, i was trying to make the point that i don't want to see him panicking and making lockdown decisions based on any slight future elevations of deaths and cases. Obviously if an increase in deaths and cases show no signs of stopping then yes, it may be worth Johnson looking into restrictions again and it's something we may have to deal with. Let's hope it doesn't come to that of course.

A couple of questions i have if any of you could help?

1. Restrictions are planned to end in June all being well. Presumably this means we can scrap the mask wearing? I had planned to stage my own 'mini protest' and ditch the masks after Easter but i feel it still important to show a good example to my kid, especially if she has to wear one in class. That wouldn't be fair.

2. Are hotels open right now? Just concerned as i am expecting a date for surgery soon and given the hospital is 2 and a half hours away and the op will require me to be in the hospital early morning, i will need to stay overnight prior in a hotel. I'm concerned that this won't be possible. Anyone have any info on how this might work please?
To try and help

1. Still very much up in the air. Personally I think it is likely that mask wearing where social distancing is not possible indoors will continue for a good while yet, unless these rapid tests provide a way out. So for instance to go to the cinema you might have to take a rapid test, but clearly you aren't going to take a test to go to Sainsbury's so in which case a mask may be needed.

2. Current plans are for hotels to be open in Stage 3 which is May 17th. However one of the few exemptions for being able to stay in a hotel at the moment is "to attend a medical appointment or treatment" so it would appear you might be ok. The issue might be finding a hotel that is open so might be worth researching as the list of exemptions doesn't cover very many people and so for many hotels they might have shut up and be on furlough.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close/closing-certain-businesses-and-venues-in-england - scroll down to the "Accommodation" section

dontpassback

Johnson is a liar and not to be trusted,the goalposts will be moved whenever it suits them to delay the giving back of freedoms which werent theirs to take in the first place

Oldsmobile-88

When pubs & restaurants reopen the one good thing is all have already have the anti Covid measures in place...I assume pubs/bars will not have to have table service when they reopen ?
I was talking to the manager of a well known bar in Exeter recently,he was saying the extra staff for that service was costing a fortune.They shut down before the last lockdown kicked in because it was uneconomic to serve that way in his establishment.

Alistair20000

It all has to be "Subject to Review" as we don't want a repeat of the Autumn.
May happen anyway. These viral infections are a seasonal thing and Mr Covid will be looking hard to find a way round the vaccines. Will not be surprised at all if he succeeds. The "normal" level of winter flu deaths will spook the Government to get the one club in the bag called Lockdown out of the bag again. The genie is out of the bottle, toothpaste out of the tube, the horse has bolted. Any Bookies offering 2021/22 winter Lockdown odds ?

Given the past promises from the Great Blatherer:

"we will wrestle this er thing to the ground in ah umm 3 months, second Lockdown umm a nuclear option blah blah which cannot be er countenanced, doing these umm er restrictions now now will er um save December err umm no sorry mea culpa Christmas, felicem natalem Christi blah umm err just one day actually folks but, err blah doing this now err will umm mean a nearly umm normal pascha, but beware the Ides of March, hang on in umm err just a bit longer fellow Brits, et tu brute. Over to you Chris"

these words from his speech today left me pondering:

"And of course there will be others who will believe that we could go faster on the basis of that vaccination programme and I understand their feelings and I sympathise very much with the exhaustion and the stress that people are experiencing and that businesses are experiencing after so long in lockdown.

But to them I say that today the end really is in sight and a wretched year will give way to a spring and a summer that will be very different and incomparably better than the picture we see around us today."

I suppose if he keeps saying this one day he will be right.

#prophetofdoom :)

Alistair20000

I wish I did, sigh.

Somewhere between Caroline Flint's and Penny Mordaunt's.

Caroline before Penny ?

I can pass you Layla's number Jinxy ;)

IndoMike

May happen anyway. These viral infections are a seasonal thing and Mr Covid will be looking hard to find a way round the vaccines. Will not be surprised at all if he succeeds. The "normal" level of winter flu deaths will spook the Government to get the one club in the bag called Lockdown out of the bag again. The genie is out of the bottle, toothpaste out of the tube, the horse has bolted. Any Bookies offering 2021/22 winter Lockdown odds ?

Given the past promises from the Great Blatherer:

"we will wrestle this er thing to the ground in ah umm 3 months, second Lockdown umm a nuclear option blah blah which cannot be er countenanced, doing these umm er restrictions now now will er um save December err umm no sorry mea culpa Christmas, felicem natalem Christi blah umm err just one day actually folks but, err blah doing this now err will umm mean a nearly umm normal pascha, but beware the Ides of March, hang on in umm err just a bit longer fellow Brits, et tu brute. Over to you Chris"

these words from his speech today left me pondering:

"And of course there will be others who will believe that we could go faster on the basis of that vaccination programme and I understand their feelings and I sympathise very much with the exhaustion and the stress that people are experiencing and that businesses are experiencing after so long in lockdown.

But to them I say that today the end really is in sight and a wretched year will give way to a spring and a summer that will be very different and incomparably better than the picture we see around us today."

I suppose if he keeps saying this one day he will be right.

#prophetofdoom :)
I'm surprised that he didn't refer to the green roots of recovery, sunlit pastures, rainbows and God Almighty (....all said in the very best of Latin). But, I have to confess, I think there's not a lot wrong with his plan.

Alistair20000

I'm surprised that he didn't refer to the green roots of recovery, sunlit pastures, rainbows and God Almighty (....all said in the very best of Latin). But, I have to confess, I think there's not a lot wrong with his plan.
If you accept that the point of Lockdown is something more than what we were told initially: kicking the can down the road, squashing the sombrero or flattening the curve i.e. the subsequent mission creep then you are right. His plan fits with that.

IndoMike

If you accept that the point of Lockdown is something more than what we were told initially: kicking the can down the road, squashing the sombrero or flattening the curve i.e. the subsequent mission creep then you are right. His plan fits with that.
As you presumably know if you have noticed any of my previous posts, I have consistently been a major critic of Johnson (not jumping on the latest bandwagon) since he became P.M. However, I do try to be objective. Imo, it makes sense to open up step by step, allowing 5- week intervals to analyse the impact of unlocking. N'est ce pas?
Just to add, if the intervals were cut a bit shorter to become monthly then I would not object.