• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport County vs Exeter City Matchday Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hartridge ran over the back of Maynards legs and tripped him.
(just so.the video is on same page (I know Hants posted this before).
It seems to me that Maynard ran across to the.ball slightly whilst Hartridge was running directly at it. It's true Hartridge flicked his foot up a bit and touched +not pulled) Maynard on his shoulder (a stupid thing to do). I suppose he gave the ref a reason to give the direct red but for me the punishment didn't match the crime nor the law. It was not an obvious goal-scoring opportunity. Yellow card and warning that next offence would be a 2nd yellow and off. Ref was too gun-happy.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Give it up matey. Me, you and a number of others think it was a red card, despite the evidence provided some people don't, it's a waste of time now.

grecIAN Harris

You should have come with me this morning to Specsavers. At no point did Hartridge 'run all over the back of Maynards legs'. It's hard to suggest they even touched each others legs. Maynard felt the merest touch from Hartridge's arm and went over. He was already beginning to go before that happened.

Alistair20000

You should have come with me this morning to Specsavers. At no point did Hartridge 'run all over the back of Maynards legs'. It's hard to suggest they even touched each others legs. Maynard felt the merest touch from Hartridge's arm and went over. He was already beginning to go before that happened.
According to Express An Error Hartridge tugged matey's shirt.

Just saying.

grecIAN Harris

Just saying.
'Express and ERROR'....... need we go any further?

Red Bill

OC was talking about whether the forward would have controlled the ball or the keeper might have saved it. That is indeed irrelevant. Once the referee decides the tests of Law 12 are met (the opportunity), the liklihood of the GK saving it or the forward missing or not controlling the ball don't matter.

I'm not actually a fan of the Law as worded, but that's a different issue. There are whole swathes of the Laws that are poor, eg the handball law, offside, feigning injury, etc but refs have to apply them as best they can. IMO the ref on Tuesday had no choice
But in deciding the "opportunity" he has to consider in this case
  • likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
So likelihood is mentioned in the law as you quoted it in your earlier post and therefore OC's comment was relevant.

IndoMike

Just saying.
I can't imagine they had a better view of it than as can be seen on the video.
And yes : it's the Express & Echo/Devon Live ...The Tedburn People's Reactionary Front Gazette's football reporter would be a better reference.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's clear to me after watching the footage of the incident umpteen times that Hartridge pulls something from beneath his shirt and tasers Maynard which causes him to lose control of his lower limbs. Clear red. Debate over.

Spoonz Red E

An astrophysicisist mathematician friend of mine says the red card is constant in a fixed space and everything else in the universe moves around it.
His cat says if the incident had been in the box it would have been both a red card and not a red card at the same time (he's dead lively that cat).

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's a bit sad that the talking point on here is still the red cards a couple of days after what was a monumental second half defensive battle. One of the most enjoyable/exciting (in its own way) performances I've seen this season, can't believe someone said the cross should have been dealt with on their goal, we had been constantly defending for 50 minutes, it was bound to come at some point. You never know how valuable that point could be at the end of season. Grimsby and Colchester next, we push on.