• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Clubs agree salary cap for L1 and L2

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
So much for progress ! Seems that the EFL can't even "shuffle one step forward" without tripping over its own feet. Shambolic. :mad:

Rosencrantz

So much for progress ! Seems that the EFL can't even "shuffle one step forward" without tripping over its own feet. Shambolic. :mad:
Plus I doubt the PFA will ever agree to salary caps so it is all back to square one on how to stop clubs overspending. It will probably wash out in a few years time with something similar to before linked to turnover which will be difficult to administer and with adequate loopholes for the likes of Salford and FGR to exploit.

Oldsmobile-88

Latest score...EFL 0 Nick De Marco QC 4 (PFA, Derby, Stevenage, Sheffield Wednesday)

sign of the chimes

Plus I doubt the PFA will ever agree to salary caps so it is all back to square one on how to stop clubs overspending. It will probably wash out in a few years time with something similar to before linked to turnover which will be difficult to administer and with adequate loopholes for the likes of Salford and FGR to exploit.
As I understand it the SCMP comes back with immediate effect; FWIW I think it's a preferable system to the blunt tool that is the absolute cap but could do with some tightening up as to what counts as eligible owner investment as well as proper, independent oversight.

To my mind the rotten bit of the EFL isn't the players or their freedom of trade - it's bad owners enabled by p**spoor governance.

Rosencrantz

As I understand it the SCMP comes back with immediate effect; FWIW I think it's a preferable system to the blunt tool that is the absolute cap but could do with some tightening up as to what counts as eligible owner investment as well as proper, independent oversight.

To my mind the rotten bit of the EFL isn't the players or their freedom of trade - it's bad owners enabled by p**spoor governance.
I do think that tightening up those loopholes is key to any fair system that will keep the clubs owners from overspending. Maybe the blunt instrument will be a wake up call to those owners to get around the table with the EFL and get something workable and worthwhile sorted out. I think that has always been Julian Tagg's preference although the phrases wishful thinking and herding cats might be relevant.

Red Bill

How pathetic! So the ludicrous business that is football goes on as if it's all perfectly reasonable to have a model where year on year businesses continue to spend way more than they can ever generate and it's employees are paid many times more than any of them can afford. And each time clubs are forced into receivership as another swathe of small businesses lose money and livelihoods and we all pretend it's ok, unavoidable and completely natural.

Grecian2K

How dare you call it exploitation. It's "market forces" dear boy, innit! :p

sign of the chimes

I do think that tightening up those loopholes is key to any fair system that will keep the clubs owners from overspending. Maybe the blunt instrument will be a wake up call to those owners to get around the table with the EFL and get something workable and worthwhile sorted out. I think that has always been Julian Tagg's preference although the phrases wishful thinking and herding cats might be relevant.
You're right re. herding cats. I do wonder whether we're approaching a point where some independent regulation has to come in. I wonder whether the events of the past twelve months might push this up the political agenda post-covid; I imagine herding the metaphorical cats would be easier with a metaphorical taser.

Rosencrantz

You're right re. herding cats. I do wonder whether we're approaching a point where some independent regulation has to come in. I wonder whether the events of the past twelve months might push this up the political agenda post-covid; I imagine herding the metaphorical cats would be easier with a metaphorical taser.
It's what Gary Neville has been pushing for with a group including David Bernstein and others. The FA, The PL and The EFL between them have been having a very poor time lately in regulating the game. The Covid crises has really only highlighted the existing weaknesses within those organisations.

Colesman Ballz

It's what Gary Neville has been pushing for with a group including David Bernstein and others. The FA, The PL and The EFL between them have been having a very poor time lately in regulating the game. The Covid crises has really only highlighted the existing weaknesses within those organisations.
So why on earth didn't David Bernstein sort it out whilst he was FA Chairman ? Maybe he was too busy at Ted Baker ?? :unsure: