• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Archie Collins

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd forgotten that he is only 21 & has been ever present this season.
Now he's adding goals to his game he will attract more attention from 'bigger' clubs.
His link up play with fellow x academy players eg MJ is a joy to watch - I guess that when you have 'grown up' / played with someone through the academy you know each others game inside out.
UTC & well done Archie, Grecians are proud to call you 'One of Our Own' !

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
New parking arrangements at St James Park

STURTZ

This weeks "Million Pound Player!"

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting that this transfer window bids for City youngsters have been for Joel Randall, but not (so far as we know) for Archie.
Have we received a bid for Joel Randall then?

andrew p long

Have we received a bid for Joel Randall then?

Other people have (IIRC) said that Charlton have openly admitted to having bid a few times for Randall, with their last bid being 300k. Obviously he's not going anywhere for that sort of money in this window.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I always find it interesting that Matt Grimes was basically turned into a holding midfield player by Swansea even though he's very creative. Ollie Watkins has been made an out-and-out striker now, which was never his role with us either. Ethan is now a centre-back for Sheffield United. We are turning out players that are so well-educated they can adapt to new roles, which is a big selling point for the larger clubs. Collins fits this too, as a player that is very football aware at a young age, and could certainly play higher up the field.

Rosencrantz

I always find it interesting that Matt Grimes was basically turned into a holding midfield player by Swansea even though he's very creative. Ollie Watkins has been made an out-and-out striker now, which was never his role with us either. Ethan is now a centre-back for Sheffield United. We are turning out players that are so well-educated they can adapt to new roles, which is a big selling point for the larger clubs. Collins fits this too, as a player that is very football aware at a young age, and could certainly play higher up the field.
Grimes was always a holding midfielder or to be more precise a deep lying playmaker and we played him as such. It was actually Swansea initially and other teams he went to on loan who made the mistake of playing Grimes more advanced or box to box. It's has been a continual British football mistake to play technically good midfielders further forward rather than deeper, Wilshere for example where others like Xavi and Pirlo thrived from a deeper role. Where there was a player like Michael Carrick, he was very under appreciated and now like Harry Winks.

It was really Graham Potter coming in at Swansea that turned Matt's Swansea career around by playing him in his proper position and Steve Cooper has given him the added trust of the armband.

Mini rant over 😉

Ps. Although I do think Archie is more suited to box to box 🙂

tonykellowfan

3 players are in the running for player of the season for me: Randall, Jay and Collins.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Xavi and Pirlo thrived from a deeper role. Where there was a player like Michael Carrick, he was very under appreciated and now like Harry Winks.
There's a big difference between the positions and roles played by Xavi and Pirlo and that of Michael Carrick. As I understand it, Grimes's current role at Swansea fits more the Carrick one, which he never played in for us.

IndoMike

Archie reminds me a bit of Harry Winks in terms of appearance and style..