• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Paul Tisdale - Ex-Bristol Rovers Manager to Col Utd now Stevenage

Redarrow

There's people with strong opinions on both sides of the fence so there's bound to be lively debate on the subject and, let's face it, that's what internet forums* are for.

'scuse me French.
I understand that and that’s fair enough, just intrigued that was all.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Proper Chap and Grecian Max : I concur with so many of your posts. An interesting thread with a predictable outcome at Bristol Rovers. Paul Tisdale (PT) never realised , and will never accept, that he was in the most privileged position of any appointee to the post of ECFC Manager. The one defining characteristic of the club I have supported since 1950 has been the lack of money. PT was appointed at probably the most favourable financial time for the club . He also inherited a useful squad of players including the likes of Jamie Mackie, Adam Stansfield, Paul Jones, Matt Gill, Wayne Carlisle , George Friend , Danny Seabourne and Dean Moxey , along with a well respected Centre of excellence / Academy with a reputation that rightly secured Eamon Dolan ( a really lovely man) a well deserved managerial appointment at Reading. Eamon was succeeded by an equally affable and able manager (respected by Alex Ferguson) Alex Inglethorpe..who restored the club's finances with that fantastic cup run that included that unbelievable 0-0 draw at Old Trafford. PT was also fortunate to be most ably supported by John Yems when League 1 status was achieved. The problem is PT never REALLY appreciated any of these factors or that he was privileged to be ECFC Manager. The manner of his departure , including that dreadful play-off final against Coventry and his attitude ( so different to that of Dave Wheeler ) post match following the 3-1 defeat of his MK Dons team says it all. PT is becoming the epitome of 'pride comes before a fall' football managers. I have some good friends who have been lifelong supporters of The Gas and they see League Two beckoning .
Ken from Feniton would attest to Paul Tisdale having an unconcealed very bad attitude towards fans at times. Truly appalling that evening at a Fan's Forum having been asked a very fair question. Against that, he could be a most charming and helpful guy. I recall fond memories of him taking the daughter of a friend who has Downes syndrome in to meet several of the players and to get their autographs when she would have been happy with just his.

I still have his number 17 shirt which we bought in a charity auction on my office wall.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I understand that and that’s fair enough, just intrigued that was all.
Here's a question - do you only ever talk about things you like and agree with?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ken from Feniton would attest to Paul Tisdale having an unconcealed very bad attitude towards fans at times. Truly appalling that evening at a Fan's Forum having been asked a very fair question. Against that, he could be a most charming and helpful guy. I recall fond memories of him taking the daughter of a friend who has Downes syndrome in to meet several of the players and to get their autographs when she would have been happy with just his.

I still have his number 17 shirt which we bought in a charity auction on my office wall.
Compare and contrast Tis being interviewed at the C&F by those schoolchildren and him marching up to us at the away end in Sheffield shouting and shaking his fist, for what I never knew, and letting us know what he thought of us.

Posh clothes mind.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting comment on the Gas Forum - "Under gc we were bar room brawlers that feared no one and with bit of refinement over time could have been pillars of the the community. Now we have a squad that resembles afternoon tea at the vicarage where anyone who comes a knocking steals the scones without question or resistance."

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Compare and contrast Tis being interviewed at the C&F by those schoolchildren and him marching up to us at the away end in Sheffield shouting and shaking his fist, for what I never knew, and letting us know what he thought of us.

Posh clothes mind.
I think this is why there is such lively debate every time his name is mentioned. He is just a total enigma and unless personal friends of his, we will always be frustrated by not being able to fully understand him as an individual. What really motivates him and why his behaviour and actions generally can often be so totally unpredictable and difficult to understand.

Probably if we knew the answers to this we could then pigeon hole him and move on. At present he seems to represent a puzzle which we are desperately trying to solve and have to keep coming back to in the futile hope that we will eventually do so.

judging from some of the comments on the Rovers forum their supporters are rapidly going down the same route as ourselves and look likely to end up being equally frustrated.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting comment on the Gas Forum - "Under gc we were bar room brawlers that feared no one and with bit of refinement over time could have been pillars of the the community. Now we have a squad that resembles afternoon tea at the vicarage where anyone who comes a knocking steals the scones without question or resistance."
Brilliant what a great analogy.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
"...we have a squad that resembles afternoon tea at the vicarage where anyone who comes a knocking steals the scones without question or resistance."
"but they were entitled to try to steal the scones" ;)

haka

He was the manager for 12 years.

So of course there are things that pi55ed people off. There may be a list of managers who stayed that long and never alienated any fans in their time, but it must be very short. It might include Bill Shankly but it wouldn't include Wenger or Ferguson, for example. Or Cooper or Godfrey or any other (relatively) successful City managers.

At present he seems to represent a puzzle which we are desperately trying to solve and have to keep coming back to in the futile hope that we will eventually do so.
I think most supporters moved on a long time ago.

Everyone (almost) agreed it was time for fresh blood, including both his supporters and critics. But some are the proverbial dog with a bone.

I know a Scot who loves pointing out that England's goal in 1966 never crossed the line. He's right, but sad. And dull.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fook me.

:oops:
(n)
:D