• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What date will we be back watching live football at SJP Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pressure mounting to suspend elite football. Not helped by high profile cases of footballers travelling out to Dubai for a holiday.

The EFL has sent a letter to clubs reminding them of their responsibilities

I could not believe it when I saw that Celtic went away for a nice break.They may have followed the correct protocols but in this climate it was crass.
Obviously someone fancied a jolly on expenses.

DB9

I could not believe it when I saw that Celtic went away for a nice break.They may have followed the correct protocols but in this climate it was crass.
Obviously someone fancied a jolly on expenses.
Celtic did, PL players did, WSL players did, Then you get David Moyes saying don't go on at the players. This new variant means their protocols need tightening up and I know all about personal responsibility and believe in that but they may like it or not they are role models and from the start of this we've had numerous stories about footballers breaking the rules and even when some apologize and donate money to good causes they do it again!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Celtic did, PL players did, WSL players did, Then you get David Moyes saying don't go on at the players. This new variant means their protocols need tightening up and I know all about personal responsibility and believe in that but they may like it or not they are role models and from the start of this we've had numerous stories about footballers breaking the rules and even when some apologize and donate money to good causes they do it again!
As a rule of thumb, I'd say the more privileged and remote from the person on the street someone is, the less they consider that rules apply to them. Politicians, tv presenters, actors, millionaires, you name it. The so-called "infuencers" who claim going to Dubai for a holiday is "work" don't help...

Oldsmobile-88

Celtic did, PL players did, WSL players did,
Yep..I was not just singling out Celtic.The manager of Man U women’s team said in a interview a few days ago that in hindsight she had made the wrong decision to travel to Dubai for a training week.

Colesman Ballz

Yep..I was not just singling out Celtic.The manager of Man U women’s team said in a interview a few days ago that in hindsight she had made the wrong decision to travel to Dubai for a training week.
If it only occurred to her in hindsight, then frankly she hasn't got the brains to be their manager in the first place !

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
If it only occurred to her in hindsight, then frankly she hasn't got the brains to be their manager in the first place !
It's called a "non-apology apology" in the trade. Modern media training spends considerable time on showing how to do this.

The other version is to make one or more conditional statements and imply that the apology is not really needed or justified, eg "if xxx is offended and if xxx happened, then I must apologise". Insincerity masquerading as contrition.

Like an Australian cricketer caught sandpapering or scuffing up the crease.

Oldsmobile-88

I look at it the other way,she admitted it was wrong.
Something many are incapable of doing these days.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
While no longer relevant to us, the FA has now suspended the FA Youth Cup because of Covid.

Rosencrantz

While no longer relevant to us, the FA has now suspended the FA Youth Cup because of Covid.
We are still in the Youth Cup aren't we? We haven't played another round since beating Bournemouth in R3 (our youngsters didn't bottle it ;)) unless I have really missed something. I have enjoyed watching the boys play.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We are still in the Youth Cup aren't we? We haven't played another round since beating Bournemouth in R3 (our youngsters didn't bottle it ;)) unless I have really missed something. I have enjoyed watching the boys play.
You're right. Seems so long ago :)

Status
Not open for further replies.