• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Back in Sep - ‘Glum’ ( or was it ‘Glummer’ ) predicted 50k new cases a day in Oct, and turns out it’s 52k instead (ONS). Wildly optimistic he might have been, but it was hardly dubious data.

Our ‘Leader’ appears to have disappeared once again.
Odd that figure Elgy. I have read 24,405 reported cases yesterday on the Dashboard and nothing close to 50,000 reported cases a day since the Glum Brothers rolled out their charts. 50,000 by 13 October was what they said. As they are being controlled by the serially inaccurate modeller Neil Ferguson and his mates at Imperial College no surprise they are wrong again.

elginCity

Tav, Germany, Denmark and others temporarily closed their borders WITHIN Schengen. Decent of you to worry about the remaining Polish plumbers though, I'm sure they'd manage for a couple of months.

Here's a thought - we could always work with Ireland for mutual benefit ? Worked well in the past before we shot ourselves in the foot.

Grecian2K

Isn’t another national lockdown stated Labour policy?
I think you'll find that the support was for a two or three week "circuit breaker" (ideally to have been over an extended (?) school half term) rather that a full month's clamp down.
Still, to paraphrase yourself, "that horse has now bolted". With infections still surging - and apparently now the previously cossetted SW is showing the highest rise in "r number" it will be interesting to see what policy is agreed upon and implemented.
(Although the Daily Heil has already pronounced the full month lockdown almost as fact...so it must be true.)

elginCity

Odd that figure Elgy. I have read 24,405 reported cases yesterday on the Dashboard and nothing close to 50,000 reported cases a day since the Glum Brothers rolled out their charts. 50,000 by 13 October was what they said. As they are being controlled by the serially inaccurate modeller Neil Ferguson and his mates at Imperial College no surprise they are wrong again.
Not according to official SAGE group/ONS ...

Last edited:

tavyred

Tav, Germany, Denmark and others temporarily closed their borders WITHIN Schengen. Decent of you to worry about the remaining Polish plumbers though, I'm sure they'd manage for a couple of months.

Here's a thought - we could always work with Ireland for mutual benefit ? Worked well in the past before we shot ourselves in the foot.
NZ have closed their borders not temporarily, but for the foreseeable future Elgy, that’s what you have to do get zero-Covid. A totally untenable policy for the U.K. to adopt I would suggest.

tavyred

I think you'll find that the support was for a two or three week "circuit breaker" (ideally to have been over an extended (?) school half term) rather that a full month's clamp down.
Still, to paraphrase yourself, "that horse has now bolted". With infections still surging - and apparently now the previously cossetted SW is showing the highest rise in "r number" it will be interesting to see what policy is agreed upon and implemented.
(Although the Daily Heil has already pronounced the full month lockdown almost as fact...so it must be true.)
Fair point.
I don’t however expect Labour to block or play politics with another national lockdown.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Johnson to grace our screens at 4pm.

Think I will stick to Soccer Saturday.

Reactions: DB9

elginCity

NZ have closed their borders not temporarily, but for the foreseeable future Elgy, that’s what you have to do get zero-Covid. A totally untenable policy for the U.K. to adopt I would suggest.
I do take your point on that, Tav. Taiwan has also shut down its border, South Korea is open but DO insist on travellers undergoing a 2 week quarantine (misinformed in my earlier post).

I'm not convinced this half-arsed mitigation approach is going to prove any more beneficial to the economy in the long game. A lot hinges on the timing of a vaccine, if indeed there is one. At least with the NZ/Taiwan approach a lot more of us get to live our lives in the meantime- while accruing a greater burden of debt for our kids, admittedly. We once shut down the economy for over 6 years during our grandparents time, and since recovered.

Grecian2K

Johnson to grace our screens at 4pm.
Get the drinks in quick lads.
It's going to be a long, dry, No-beer-vember.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Due to move house a week on Monday. Going to be a bit of a sticky wicket if that is put on hold