• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

InTheBigBank

Resigned
Unlike the sniffles, long Covid is a vascular nasty and a big stressor on the heart causing long term health problems. Plenty of evidence out there already. Then again, you could be trolling. :)
I'm only using a cold as an example because that's the only first hand experience I've had regarding long term affects of a Corona virus.

I am not downplaying the fact that this new strain can give your body a good beating. I am just saying, this is not a new thing, plenty of viruses take a while to recover from.

Coining a new term 'Long Covid' does nothing but to keep the fear stoked up amongst the population, further exasperating the problem we now find ourselves in with lockdown vs economy.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster

Spoonz Red E

Spoonz Red E

I'm only using a cold as an example because that's the only first hand experience I've had regarding long term affects of a Corona virus.

I am not downplaying the fact that this new strain can give your body a good beating. I am just saying, this is not a new thing, plenty of viruses take a while to recover from.

Coining a new term 'Long Covid' does nothing but to keep the fear stoked up amongst the population, further exasperating the problem we now find ourselves in with lockdown vs economy.
That's fine - it's good to laugh.

You might want to pop a line to the scientists and doctors who are concerned and trying to find out more.
They might not have realised that flu had after effects too.
It could save them a lot of time ;)

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
So Wales closes up for 17 days from Friday. No doubt Scotland will follow suit.

Your move Boris.

Mr Jinx

So Wales closes up for 17 days from Friday. No doubt Scotland will follow suit.

Your move Boris.
Can't see it happening in England. We've seen what happens when you shut the schools here - good luck getting them open again.

And besides, the new cases aren't going over 20k a day. Not yet anyway. This goes against the glummers' prediction of coming on for 100k a day by now. Precautions already taken seem to be doing the trick.

Having said that, of course there are regional variations, and I'm all for localised circuit breakers. The problem with those is that you have people like Andy Burnham out there, all desperate for a few more column inches, defying what would probably be good for them.

Oldsmobile-88

So Wales closes up for 17 days from Friday.
To start with...A brave move because if infection rates do not fall dramatically it will be difficult to justify coming out of the lockdown.

elginCity

........I'm all for localised circuit breakers. The problem with those is that you have people like Andy Burnham out there, all desperate for a few more column inches, defying what would probably be good for them......
I can’t keep up with you, Jinx. One week you’re espousing the ‘Swedish model’ the next you’re all for a lockdown - because it’ll probably be ‘good for them’.

Mr Jinx

I can’t keep up with you, Jinx. One week you’re espousing the ‘Swedish model’ the next you’re all for a lockdown - because it’ll probably be ‘good for them’.
Tier 3 up there, or whatever it's called, is not a total lockdown - correct me if I'm wrong?

Besides, I've never said that total lockdown, or even partial, whatever, doesn't help to reduce new infections. Of course it does. It's just what then happens when you relax it all again.

Big picture: without a working vaccine in play, long term, lockdowns of any description are fairly pointless. Swedish model is the way to go in the long run, imo. If you insist on playing peek-a-boo (which is what they're doing), then temporary partial localised lockdowns will have to make do.

elginCity

Tier 3 up there, or whatever it's called, is not a total lockdown - correct me if I'm wrong?
It's a lockdown of sorts, which you claim to be pointless, yet probably good for the Mancs ? Your position on this is a tad confusing, matey ! :)