• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Still find it hilarious that had remoaners won the vote they would have still been celebrating ! The fact that as the leave date gets ever closer they are still questioning the actual vote process and how close it was !

HAHAHAHAHAHA Get use to it suckers , You lost !

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Incidentally this doesn't seem to have impacted her election performance, as it looks like she's just won a landslide victory.
No it hadn't and fair play to her and her party, I hope the things that were highlighted in that article are somehow rectified by her new Government and these people who are left behind because of this virus are helped.

DB9

The Cameron Conservative Party promised a referendum. The result meant that they were duty bound to take the country out of the EU. A Norway style arrangement would have fulfilled that promise. And that is the point, politics is like life it is complicated and does not fir into 'simple' binary choices. For this reason I am not a big fan of deciding issues by a referendum.
The politcs of it was similar to the politics of the Wilson referendum in the 1970s. Cameron had a divided party and instead of showing leadership and dealing with the issue directly he avoided responsibility.
Similarly with Farage when has he ever taken responsiblity shown leadership and ever done anything real? All he does is whinge and posture from the sidelines.
Your side has won and the future is a country run in the interests of the toffs and the oligarchs. Enjoy.
Cameron did say it was a simple leave or stay vote, Binary yes but that is what the referendum was based on and the result had to be acted on otherwise that would have been a smack in the face to a free democratic vote, Whether people who were campaigning on both sides lied, Bent the truth for their own ends etc has nothing to do with the final result, Because the Parliament between 2016 and 2019 was a place where it seemed the MP's were out of touch with their constiuents views on this subject was one of the main reasons why the people who voted to leave and won got so fed up with things and were glad that in 2019 it was finally settled due to the result of the GE.

We have seen though while the WA was agreed finally and a Transition period was installed up and until the 31st Dec 2020 it looks like implementing the Brexit with a Trade deal with our nearest neighbours is proving somewhat difficult and we could be looking at ending the Transition period without a trade deal and trading on WTO terms which could be quite an upheavel to the UK as a whole. I have no idea what the future holds for the UK, I really hope we know what we're doing by having Brexit and only time will tell but in the end the UK did vote to leave and we must accept that result whatever happens.

Farage has taken responsibility and showed leadership, Even though he was not in power at all and failed getting elected to the HOC's, He and his party, UKIP and then The Brexit Party shook this country up so much politically and scared the life out of a Tory PM, Cameron had to promise a referendum in the 2015 election Tory manifesto and in the end that ended Cameron's political life because he wrongly thought that the country would never vote to leave and had an awful "Project fear" campaign. I think Farage has done more than most MP's in Parliament and much as i don't agree with this and his political views he managed to change the whole direction of this country.

Rosencrantz

Still find it hilarious that had remoaners won the vote they would have still been celebrating ! The fact that as the leave date gets ever closer they are still questioning the actual vote process and how close it was !

Er, we have already left. We left on 31st January. Why can't Brexiters just accept this simple fact 😉.

With Boris doing a big boy flounce, I guess a deal is actually closer than everyone would have you believe.

angelic upstart

I don’t think they would have as it would have been exactly the same as it had been, so would have been business as usual.
Instead we’re leaving the EU in 76 days and haven’t the faintest idea of what’s happening next in terms of almost everything that matters. Other than that we no longer have any discernible food standards, so providing we can get it into the country we can all have a nice can of chappie for tea.

DB9

I don’t think they would have as it would have been exactly the same as it had been, so would have been business as usual.
Instead we’re leaving the EU in 76 days and haven’t the faintest idea of what’s happening next in terms of almost everything that matters. Other than that we no longer have any discernible food standards, so providing we can get it into the country we can all have a nice can of chappie for tea.
Or tinned chicken. (See Tomorrow's World thread)

tavyred

What’s happening to U.K. food standards in 76 days AU?
Have I missed summat?

angelic upstart

What’s happening to U.K. food standards in 76 days AU?
Have I missed summat?
In short, the govt have voted that we will not continue with our current food standards as this may stop other countries exporting to us. Whilst I'm not one of the folk being all holier than thou about potential chicken etc. What it does is undercut British farmers unless they lower standards, and if they don't they lose out to a portion of the nation and indeed to the big corps as they can buy any old crap to put into our breakfast cereal (for example) meat, fruit and vegetables I'm not fussed about per se as it's easy enough to tell. It's everything else that concerns me.

I'll try and hunt out a opinion piece I read which demonstrated the difference in ingredients for a number of ordinary household goods (cornflakes, ketchup etc) where having lower standards just meant they plied it with stuff as opposed to the current high standards we have. The sort of thing you don't really notice unless you assiduously read ingredients...

Food shouldn't be a political issue in the slightest, it should be to the best possible standard everytime.

tavyred

Thanks AU.
Just did a quick bit of reading up on the subject and yes the Government wants the ability to negotiate trade deals with out our food standards being enshrined in law as they were when we were in the EU. It’s made assurances that it will not compromise standards in such a way that will undercut British farmers and food producers. In short, it’s asking British farmers to trust them, I personally can’t see the Tories upsetting the farming set, can you?
I personally don’t see the problem in a new era where the negotiating of FTA’s is going to be vital to the UK, not wanting to be hamstrung by rigid inflexible laws on food standards sounds the pragmatic choice to me.
Others on here will violently disagree of course.

Oldsmobile-88

Whenever the subject of food standards comes up I’m reminded of my old history teacher from school who said “if you did not grow it or make it yourself,then you have no idea of what’s in it “😁
Not a bad shout even though that was said 45 years ago.

Obviously a flippant comment from me because of animal welfare issues which play a part in food standards these days.

I think most fast food joints would be in the firing line if the country were serious about food standards 😎😎
Kebab anyone ? if you are sober ? 😁