• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Clubs agree salary cap for L1 and L2

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
You did tell the pitch story and it's a beaut ! (y)
Actually I‘be remembered another one now, not sure I’ve recounted that one on here 😄

Colesman Ballz

You did tell the pitch story and it's a beaut ! (y)
It certainly was ! :ROFLMAO:

fred binneys head

Actually I‘be remembered another one now, not sure I’ve recounted that one on here 😄
Can’t remember either. Spill.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
A bit more detail regarding named squad numbers and u21 players that is part of the new salary cap rules in an article from Ipswich's point of view. Unsurprisingly they were against it.

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2020/august/marcus-evans-on-salary-cap/
A bit more detail regarding named squad numbers and u21 players that is part of the new salary cap rules in an article from Ipswich's point of view. Unsurprisingly they were against it.

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2020/august/marcus-evans-on-salary-cap/

I do think limiting clubs to 20 players aged 21 or over might be a problem when that limit comes in. 22 for this season sounds more reasonable for an 18 man squad. It will put a limit of 980 professionals aged 21 or over in Leagues One and Two. It would be interesting to know the numbers for last season.
Looking at our current squad I make it we have 14 over 21, but 6 more who will be 21 by start of 2021. So we would probably need to shift some out to be able to make additional signings next summer[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As an addition to the above I cannot find anywhere else that confirms the squad sizes and u21 rulings as part of the salary cap rules. So maybe it is still under discussion. It's strange it wasn't mentioned in the EFL statement if it was agreed and voted on, but hey, it's the EFL.
This article also suggests that players under the age of 21 are not covered by the squad cap but says nothing about squad sizes.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, done on the back of a fag packet I suspect. The principle is one thing but unintended consequences are a real problem. The first was the incentive for potentially affected clubs to splash out before the vote - in signing players on expensive lengthy contracts and/ or extending existing contracts ( anything done after the proposals were made but before the outcome of the vote doesn’t count).

so predictably the first consequence of this cap is *increased* expenditure
This seems to me like an inevitable consequence of introducing the new rule immediately without allowing a proper transition time for clubs to prepare for the change of circumstances.

Antony Moxey

Can’t remember either. Spill.
The first was when I was about 15/16. I used to swim competitively and one summer we had a fairly big event in Plymouth, and you may or may not be aware that Plymouth’s swimming pool is right next to the football ground. Anyway, i had an hour or two between events so me and mate went for a wander and found the ground unlocked and empty, so we both went in and had a **** in the centre circle. Lucky for them neither of needed a dump!

The second was when we won a contract to survey the whole of Central Park to do with Dan MaCauley’s ill fated Tradium idea. The contract was awarded by a firm of consultant engineers from Sunderland of all places, so when I issued them the drawings they all had the drawing numbers GAWS/01, GAWS/02 etc, etc. To this day it still makes me chuckle that the engineers would be having meetings with PAFC and Plymouth City Council inviting them to refer to drawing GAWS/04 or GAWS/03! No-one from the engineers could have known as we were paid on time and in full and were invited back to carry out further surveys later on.

fred binneys head

You are a legend. We should have a statue of you in the Red Square. That’s brilliant.

Andy Holloway

You are a legend. We should have a statue of you in the Red Square. That’s brilliant.
Moscow or Exeter?

fred binneys head

Moscow or Exeter?
What the heck, both.