• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Worrying that Chrisene is already appearing on a former players thread...
Worrying, sickening, but not surprising. Don't think I'll follow this story any more - too frustrating, depressing, and annoying.

LOG

The internet seems to think it's Liverpool with Chelsea also sniffing about.

ryancooper327

I don’t get why players don’t prove themselves in the first team and move up like Grimes, Watkins and Ampadu rather than jumping the gun like Goss... Has anyone left before turning pro and become a ‘star’? I’ve had a bit of sun today in case I miss anyone obvious

Colesman Ballz

The internet seems to think it's Liverpool with Chelsea also sniffing about.
With the experience of Amps and Chelsea, perhaps Liverpool and Alex Inglethorpe, may end up as better option as far as our Club is concerned, but it could be a very big IF ? Basically the Premiership are all robbing barstewards ! :mad:

Boyo

I don’t think we will get much as I have it on good authority that he turned down a very good contract offer by City.
If this is true it could actually be good news. We got decent(ish) money for Ampadu because his scholarship terms had finished and we were able to offer him a professional contract. That meant the deal went to a tribunal rather than the set formula for EPPP. If the same scenario plays out we should be better compensated.

I'm slightly confused as to what happened with Jay Stansfield. Did he sign for Fulham prior to his scholarship terms expiring?

Boyo

I don’t get why players don’t prove themselves in the first team and move up like Grimes, Watkins and Ampadu rather than jumping the gun like Goss... Has anyone left before turning pro and become a ‘star’? I’ve had a bit of sun today in case I miss anyone obvious
If Grimes or Watkins had offers at a younger age they would likely have jumped. Quite simply they weren't good enough at 17 to shine. Additionally, the earning potential and quality of coaches / facilities will influence their decision hugely.

Rosencrantz

If this is true it could actually be good news. We got decent(ish) money for Ampadu because his scholarship terms had finished and we were able to offer him a professional contract. That meant the deal went to a tribunal rather than the set formula for EPPP. If the same scenario plays out we should be better compensated.

I'm slightly confused as to what happened with Jay Stansfield. Did he sign for Fulham prior to his scholarship terms expiring?
Jay also signed for Fulham under the same circumstances as Ethan so I believe. Just that the tribunal fee was lower. I suspect that Chrisene will probably also go to tribunal and will be somewhere between the two.

The frustrating thing with these tribunals is that the chance of really good money comes with a sell on clause rather than appearances. If Ethan plays 50 times for Chelsea we get £2.5 million in total. If he is a success and plays 500 games for Chelsea and never moves, we just get that £2.5 million. Even £2.5 million for a player who plays 50 games for a top flight club is a bargain.

IndoMike

Jay also signed for Fulham under the same circumstances as Ethan so I believe. Just that the tribunal fee was lower. I suspect that Chrisene will probably also go to tribunal and will be somewhere between the two.

The frustrating thing with these tribunals is that the chance of really good money comes with a sell on clause rather than appearances. If Ethan plays 50 times for Chelsea we get £2.5 million in total. If he is a success and plays 500 games for Chelsea and never moves, we just get that £2.5 million. Even £2.5 million for a player who plays 50 games for a top flight club is a bargain.
The big clubs have very little to lose with a punt on players like Amps and Chrisene.
The mere fact that they have been professionals at a top club increases their value - even if they weren't very successful at their PL club.
Even if Amps never plays for Chelsea again I bet they could sell him for 10m.

andrew p long

Jay also signed for Fulham under the same circumstances as Ethan so I believe. Just that the tribunal fee was lower. I suspect that Chrisene will probably also go to tribunal and will be somewhere between ....]

with Jay we settled for what we thought would be better than going to a Tribunal. I hope those negotiating hadn’t been scarred by the Ethan experience into under estimating what a Tribunal might award. Anyway (Unspecified) add ons and sell ons for Jay to watch out for.

Colesman Ballz

Iirc Stansfield never went to a tribunal, the fee was agreed between the Clubs last summer so no need. Think Taggy intimated that it was above the figure that EPPP terms would have given us, but of course lower than what we would liked. Of course it also meant that we didn't have to sit and watch two transfer windows come and go whilst bleddy waiting !

Edit .I see Andrew has found the link whilst I was typing. (y)

Last edited: