• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
How does the ONS know that ?

We have nearly 290,000 reported cases, say 40,000 deaths and 1,200 recovered (clearly wrong) and 250,000 active cases. 1 in 1,000 would be 65,000 with Covid not 250,000 as the stats show.
They are using the number of people currently infected which they reckon to be 53,000.
The 290,000, I think, is a running total.

Not sure how they count the 'recovered' cases; it may be that they don't assume recovery until all the damage done is healed.
Some people are still feeling effects 5 or 6 weeks after discharge from hospital.

Just had a look - in March WHO said:
"Using available preliminary data, the median time from onset to clinical recovery for mild cases is approximately 2 weeks and is 3-6 weeks for patients with severe or critical disease."

Last edited:

Red Devon

This is how they obtained their latest data

Alistair20000

They are using the number of people currently infected which they reckon to be 53,000.
The 290,000, I think, is a running total.

Not sure how they count the 'recovered' cases; it may be that they don't assume recovery until all the damage done is healed.
Some people are still feeling effects 5 or 6 weeks after discharge from hospital.

Just had a look - in March WHO said:
"Using available preliminary data, the median time from onset to clinical recovery for mild cases is approximately 2 weeks and is 3-6 weeks for patients with severe or critical disease."

Thanks Spoonz.

Will read fully links later.
I took the UK recovered figure from the Johns Hopkins website that you kindly directed me to. It has been stuck at around 1200 for weeks now and is way out of line for all other country reports where there are a significant number of cases. Cannot be like for like stats or are we lazy in providing data ?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks Spoonz.

Will read fully links later.
I took the UK recovered figure from the Johns Hopkins website that you kindly directed me to. It has been stuck at around 1200 for weeks now and is way out of line for all other country reports where there are a significant number of cases. Cannot be like for like stats or are we lazy in providing data ?
Us and Spain are not measuring fully recovered in the same way as the others so the data is not comparable anyway

Legohead

Banned
Do any of you good folk think that there could just be a tiny bit of a chance that crowds will be allowed for the start of next season? Maybe if the season was started late August it gives us nearly 3 months from now to see how things improve. Up until a month ago I would have said no chance for paying fans until maybe season after next but looking at the way crowds are being permitted gradually in places like Poland and Hungary maybe there could be a possibility?

DB9

Do any of you good folk think that there could just be a tiny bit of a chance that crowds will be allowed for the start of next season? Maybe if the season was started late August it gives us nearly 3 months from now to see how things improve. Up until a month ago I would have said no chance for paying fans until maybe season after next but looking at the way crowds are being permitted gradually in places like Poland and Hungary maybe there could be a possibility?
I wouldn't want us to jump before we can walk but if there is a definite decline in infections/deaths from now till August they may look at limited numbers being allowed in but I'd air on the side of caution.

Oldsmobile-88

I don’t think the season will start until October at the earliest.
At L1 & L2 level there is no point starting the season unless crowds are allowed.
If there is no large spike from the recent beach & demos,that will certainly add weight to the argument for crowds to be let back into grounds with appropriate safeguards.

andrew p long

Another individual has tested positive

forgive me if I am being a bit slow about this, but how does a player testing positive (After group training sessions) fit in with ‘test, track and trace’? Doesn’t that mean that everyone the player concerned has been in contact with have to self isolate?

grecianstew

forgive me if I am being a bit slow about this, but how does a player testing positive (After group training sessions) fit in with ‘test, track and trace’? Doesn’t that mean that everyone the player concerned has been in contact with have to self isolate?
Who can tell with this “make it up as you go along” government? Probably depends which number the dice lands on before the briefing.

Boyo

I think we are still at 'Stage 1' of training, which enforces the 2m rule. Under Track & Trace I believe they only trace people you have been within 2m of for a sustained period of time. So technically that would be no-one at the Club. What happens when Clubs are at Stage 2 (full contact), I don't know.