• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whilst on the topic of steam locomotion,I can recommend West Coast Railways which is based at Fort William & their twice daily trip from Fort William to Mallaig.
The service runs from March to November in normal circumstances.It is due to provisionally start again from 19th June.

Alistair20000

Have you ever driven a steam engine Stuffers ?

I had a go down at Bodmin on a Hunslet Austerity Tank just before Lockdown.

Looking for a drive on a Bulleid Pacific once we are released from house arrest.

#southernsteambuff

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whilst on the topic of steam locomotion,I can recommend West Coast Railways which is based at Fort William & their twice daily trip from Fort William to Mallaig.
The service runs from March to November in normal circumstances.It is due to provisionally start again from 19th June.
Without doubt the finest journey you can make behind a steam engine in the UK. I haven't made the trip, but I've watched trains going over the viaduct at Glenfinnan.

Oldsmobile-88

Without doubt the finest journey you can make behind a steam engine in the UK. I haven't made the trip, but I've watched trains going over the viaduct at Glenfinnan.
Indeed..

I am a regular visitor to Fort William & love to take that trip time & time again.

Colesman Ballz

Provisional my ar$e, no chance of that happening whatsoever. How do achieve social distancing in a railway carriage with 64 seats ? You probably need a 70% occupancy rate to break even. I really can't see much steam action on the mainline, or on preserved railways again this year. It's is the same boat as football unfortunately and there will be financial casualties in that field as well. Life as we know it is marked alas.

Colesman Ballz

Looking for a drive on a Bulleid Pacific once we are released from house arrest.

#southernsteambuff
Likewise to Olds, you could be in for a long wait. Your best bet if (they survive) will be the the Swanage Railway, as they are well provided for in the Bulleid Light Pacific department , and there is normally at least one in service at all times, All belong to the Southern Loco Group, there are four in their pool, and have started restoring a fifth now 34010 Sidmouth, which has been awaiting restoration since it left Barrjy Scrapyard many, many moons ago !

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster

#southernsteambuff
No such luck Al. My love of locomotives began while watching the "spam cans" set light to the embankment grass before disappearing into the tunnel below Howell's Dairy on their way to St Davids. As a boy I vividly remember seeing City of Truro standing at platform 1 at St. David's only to make her acquantance again many years later when on loan at Swindon's Outlet Centre. The Engine currently on loan there is a Hall Class who's name I forget :oops:

I recently came across this book in a Swindon charity shop..

Colesman Ballz

No such luck Al. My love of locomotives began while watching the "spam cans" set light to the embankment grass before disappearing into the tunnel below Howell's Dairy on their way to St Davids. As a boy I vividly remember seeing City of Truro standing at platform 1 at St. David's only to make her acquantance again many years later when on loan at Swindon's Outlet Centre. The Engine currently on loan there is a Hall Class who's name I forget :oops:

I recently came across this book in a Swindon charity shop..

There have been a few changes at Swindon during the last twelve months. The National Railway Museum gifted GWR heavy freight loco no.2818 to Steam Museum. It has taken the place of Manor class No.7821 Dinmore Manor. This in turn has relocated and become the Loco now on display in the Shopping Centre. It is owned by the West Somerset Railway Association and is on loan whilst awaiting it's place in the restoration queue back at the former Taunton to Minehead branch.

geoffwp

A most wonderful journey. I taught in a 14-18 comp just outside Leicester and we had a tradition of taking a group of 36 young people on what was termed a 'Bothy crawl' though we didn't use that many of them as we took tents. It was a 7 day trek on the west coast of Scotland, the route varying year by year, but always getting there on that train route. Brings back a lot of good memories. We got them off once in the middle of Rannoch Moor. The kids thought we were kidding!!😄

geoffwp

Just realised I was talking about Glasgow up to Fort William so apologies. We did do Mallaig a few times as we once started and once completed a bothy crawl at Inverie.