• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Five to ten L1 & L2 clubs under threat

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sad story you’ve painted there Rosencrantz , but unfortunately I can see a lot of it happening especially the B sides bit. The Premiershite are completely money driven , egged on by the TV companies / advertising. Of course they will inevitably kill off grass roots football , there will just be a massive divide between them and non league football. One day long after I’m gone some fool will turn round and wonder why England never progress past Round one of the Euros / World Cup and bemoan the absence of young talent ,and suggest local teams are seeded again (just like Salford ) by Premiership money. By then most genuine supporters will have deserted the game . Frankly , I for one wouldn’t want to be a Man City or Liverpool plastic.........
It could yet be the greatest opportunity to revitalise the league's along sustainable lines with emphasis on homegrown players which would only benefit the national team. But the PL is so built on "evil capitalist" 😉 lines that the opportunity could almost certainly be lost. After all what's better than 20 odd grade one academies developing talent...92 academies with highly trained coaching staffs.

DB9

Sad story you’ve painted there Rosencrantz , but unfortunately I can see a lot of it happening especially the B sides bit. The Premiershite are completely money driven , egged on by the TV companies / advertising. Of course they will inevitably kill off grass roots football , there will just be a massive divide between them and non league football. One day long after I’m gone some fool will turn round and wonder why England never progress past Round one of the Euros / World Cup and bemoan the absence of young talent ,and suggest local teams are seeded again (just like Salford ) by Premiership money. By then most genuine supporters will have deserted the game . Frankly , I for one wouldn’t want to be a Man City or Liverpool plastic.........
What will happen echos what happened 30 years ago when the FA went behind the FL back and met with Sky, Back then Sky knew the best way to grow is get live football on a dedicated sports channel and they went for the top level football, which was riding high after Italia '90, Sky were a small station but with massive backing and that first tv deal of £385m? for exclusive rights to the games those at the FA just saw pound signs before their collective greedy eyes, Sky didn't want Div 2,3,4 as they were called so the FA totally shafted the FL and set up the PL. In a way it was the FL fault because they didn't see the potenial growth in the game that bigger clubs could see, In their final season the FL/ITV didn't even bother to show live games until the November but by then it was a sealed sale of football to Sky. You could potentially see a stitch up again once this is all over with and the FL being left out and picking up the crumbs but this time because of how things are nowadays with so much focus on the PL what ever any new deal is will be even worth less than now. Finishing the PL is solely driven by money, Nothing else, They don't care if the EFL finish now and wouldn't give a fig if there is no relegation/promotion and once this season finishes, Those at the FA/PL will meet again to and the conversation will only be about the 20 clubs, how much money they can rake back from this and that will be at the expense of the EFL clubs. This won't end well for the 71/2 EFL teams.

Red Devon

I read in the newspaper at lunchtime that around 50% of businesses receiving a Government backed Bounce Back Loan which could be as much as £50,000 do not expect to repay it. I assume they will contrive to go bust but some may fail anyway without having to try. This is what happens when you throw money at a problem.
With this proposal I don’t think they’ll get away with that.

Alistair20000

With this proposal I don’t think they’ll get away with that.
I hope not but I am not confident that resources will be allocated to pursue scumbags.

Andy Holloway

The major creditors were breweries and a computer company who had sold a ticketing system that was never used (it needed a computer to do so!) as well as other firms both locally and Nationally. However the one that always sticks in my mind was 'Bubble It' Launderette together with others of the same genre around the town who had clearly given credit to R&L in order to get the (talk about dirty) laundry done. Very early on when the Trust took over we bought a washing machine for use at the C&F. At the same time there were several other companies that we used who would only do cash deals, so bad was the reputation of the Club.
This reminds me of the saga of the - now gone - away end toilet block and the driver who, turned up one day with a low loader and instructions to remove it due to non payment of rent. Fortunately for ECFC 'someone' stepped in with their credit card and saved the day!

Red Devon

I hope not but I am not confident that resources will be allocated to pursue scumbags.
Apparently there will be FFA insiders over seeing things.

Red Devon

Walsall Chairman talking to Mike Bushell on BBC Breakfast today, that they have only had one season ticket holder asking for their money back everyone else has told the club they can keep the money...similar stories also coming out of Bradford and Leyton Orient.

DB9

Walsall Chairman talking to Mike Bushell on BBC Breakfast today, that they have only had one season ticket holder asking for their money back everyone else has told the club they can keep the money...similar stories also coming out of Bradford and Leyton Orient.
Not surprised, As I said a few weeks ago, ST holders paid for their tickets last year, The money went out last year and they got on with life, There wasn't this virus around then, This year is different, People are either furloughed or losing their jobs and money is tight, People will have doubts about spending hundreds on a season ticket when they have other, more important things to pay. Many fans will be happy that their ST and the few home games left on them might ease the financial burden on the club and help in some small way.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's more than likely that the 5-10 clubs will increase.What are the chances that Exeter City Football Club will become one of them?

Oldsmobile-88

It's more than likely that the 5-10 clubs will increase.What are the chances that Exeter City Football Club will become one of them?
Taggy seemed upbeat in the recent video conference release with supporters groups.
If this had happened a couple of years ago,it might have been difficult for the club to survive.
A few of the larger wage earners in the squad have taken a percentage wage deferral which is helpful in the short term.
Of course that is a added unexpected expenditure to pay back at a later date when the club can get revenue rolling back in.