• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Victor
I never bought this one, but I did like Alf Tupper, the Tough of the Track.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I never bought this one, but I did like Alf Tupper, the Tough of the Track.
a mile under 4 minutes on a diet of fish and chips.

• Haha
Reactions: DB9

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Skid Solo. That Lewis Hamilton wouldn't have stood an earthly.

elginCity

Carson's Cubs and Zip Nolan in the Lion was my choice !

DB9

Looking at these comics from yesteryear just reminds me how i looked forward once a week to going to the newsagents to get my reserved comic, They changed over the years, Started with The Victor then moved onto Battle & Valiant, As i got older i had a comic called Starlord (Which i still have the first copy) then it merged with 2000AD which was an awesome comic and got that regularly, Obviously there came a time when i was too old and stopped but did in the mid 80's during my 20's bought Superman comics, Not the American version but i think the first and only time they were printed in the UK and the size of a normal British comic. I still have them, I read them once then put in a clear folder and then into a ring binder which now they reside in my loft, Plus they still have their free gifts with them too.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
a mile under 4 minutes on a diet of fish and chips.
Another character with a similar diet was a favourite of mine, Bernard Briggs, who was in the Hornet from c 1963, and earlier (I think) in the Wizard. Bernard was a brilliant goalkeeper who never let a goal in. A team he played for were guaranteed at least a point, no matter how useless they might be. All this seemed perfectly reasonable to me at the time, however improbable I might find it now.

elginCity

Newton Town were top drawer; Joe Carson (capt), Andy Streak in goal, Swotty Brayne, Tiddler Smith, Sammy & Ginger Fyre, Pud Perry, Lord Algy Davonport, Curley Mopp, Twiggy Flint and top scorer Rocky Stone who scored more regularly than Fred Binney.

Oh, and they had two 'rascally' directors, Herbert Snook and Arthur Braggart. T'was ever thus. :D

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Newton Town were top drawer; Joe Carson (capt), Andy Streak in goal, Swotty Brayne, Tiddler Smith, Sammy & Ginger Fyre, Pud Perry, Lord Algy Davonport, Curley Mopp, Twiggy Flint and top scorer Rocky Stone who scored more regularly than Fred Binney.

Oh, and they had two 'rascally' directors, Herbert Snook and Arthur Braggart. T'was ever thus. :D
Thanks, Elgy. Russell and Lewis have been renamed.

Last edited:

iscalad

Another character with a similar diet was a favourite of mine, Bernard Briggs, who was in the Hornet from c 1963, and earlier (I think) in the Wizard. Bernard was a brilliant goalkeeper who never let a goal in. A team he played for were guaranteed at least a point, no matter how useless they might be. All this seemed perfectly reasonable to me at the time, however improbable I might find it now.
Apparently Bernard was written by some bloke in America. Based on real life, apparently.

Legohead

Banned
I do just about remember those Commando comics. I too remember looking forward to going to the newsagents in the 80's for the Beano / Dandy (sure there was another one I used to get - Beezer? Is that one?) anyway, also Shoot magazine and then NME and Melody Maker in the mid to later 80's. Happy days.