• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Just how should we finish the season?

IBA

If you were in charge, what would you do? should it be scarp the season and introduce final standings including promotion & relegation on points per game? If so where does that leave Exeter City?

JJ red&white

As much as it pains me, ppg seems the only fair way. That would obviously put Cheltenham above is which is a killer, but I see no other way. To soften the blow slightly, I’d prefer that only automatic places got promoted as I’m not sure giving 4th place promotion would represent how the play offs historically go in any way!

Legohead

Banned
Scrap the season and re start next season as we did this. Same teams in same leagues. I'm actually coming round to the view that i'm not actually bothered. Just whatever they want to do then fine. It's tedious now.

jimmy

With every suggestion on this thread there will of course be pros and cons. In the courts, in the media and in the bank accounts.

I actually believe the season should be finished. Even if that means 9 ifollow games in a couple of months time.

In terms of those contracts expiring..if players want to jump ship on June 30th, they can. They won't have many options on the table! If squads need to be filled with emerging youth players..I see that as a good thing! It will test squad depths and youth set ups!

Start the next season when crowds can rejoin the fun.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Give Liverpool the title and start the next season as we were this season. Whatever it takes to stop argyle getting promoted.

Banksy

As Lego above , scrap the season. Any other way and there will be arguments over promotion and relegation.
Anyway , if this goes on too long there will be many businesses going bust sadly , including football clubs.
Looking on the black side the leagues might have to be revamped anyway in that event.

Legohead

Banned
I have read that the plan could be for the EFL to scrap both leagues 1&2. If that is the case, what about the Championship? Last I heard the Championship was also part of the EFL. Can't have one rule for one and one for another. If leagues 1&2 are to be scrapped then so must the Championship.

It's obvious that the season cannot be completed by way of playing the games behind closed doors. For a host of reasons - cost being one. It would be too expensive for league 1&2 clubs.

PPG or any other way of predicting results is unfair. So rule that out.

Finishing the season as it stands now and allowing the league to stand as it is now is unfair.

Scrapping the season for all EFL clubs, Championship included is fair. This would however mean that the remaining Premier League games will be played without relegation and i can't see that happening.

What is clear is that a lot of clubs are fighting their own corners for money and not for the greater good of the sport of football. Which makes it all a mess that it is.

Last edited:

i8cornwall

Scrap the season, and pay everyone in the league a higher amount of prize money to soften the blow. I’d also say that football needs a rank and file independent review.

If it’s done on PPG and city don’t publicly kick off I’d be disappointed, putting aside matt and the players failure yet again to get promoted and the “we will try our best next season” ********.

Either way it’s a mess, the only club who can’t really complain is Bolton who where all but down the weekend the season was stopped anyway.

IndoMike

Error

IndoMike

Wait another couple of months. See if we can finish this season in August (2 matches per week) . Start up next season mid - September...have 2 week break in January...finish the season.
But that's assuming everything goes well