• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

[Rerun]1989/90 and the Southend match. 8.30pm

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was a shame the team didn't stay together long after that. The only ones left when I started supporting them in 91 were tom kelly and Danny Bailey. I think.
As Terry says, lots of other clubs sniffing around and making offers we, nor the players, could refuse.

Oldsmobile-88

It was a shame the team didn't stay together long after that. The only ones left when I started supporting them in 91 were tom kelly and Danny Bailey. I think.
Danny Bailey signed for Reading around Oct 1990(he returned a couple of years later) for around £50k.
It was reported that Reading had tripled the weekly wage he was on at SJP.

malcolms

As Terry says, lots of other clubs sniffing around and making offers we, nor the players, could refuse.
Terry also said 'he wouldn't be going anywhere' then went to Birmingham

:rolleyes:

iscalad

Terry also said 'he wouldn't be going anywhere' then went to Birmingham

:rolleyes:
True .,.

fred binneys head

Especially when Terry Cooper had a clause in his contract that he would receive a decent % of any player sales income.

Develop a great team, then sell everyone off, pocket the cash and move to Birmingham. Thanks Terry.

andrew p long

Especially when Terry Cooper had a clause in his contract that he would receive a decent % of any player sales income.

Develop a great team, then sell everyone off, pocket the cash and move to Birmingham. Thanks Terry.
wasn’t the story even worse? That theboard got fed up with TC getting large sums of money as his % of player sale. So they agreed to buy out the clause with a chunky payment. TC got the cheque specially cleared then as soon as it had cleared left to join Birmingham. Is that right?

budegrecian

He was fantastic.
It was a real coup for TC to get him back to SJP from Bristol City(whos nose was put out of joint about the move iirc)
Very few players come back for a 3rd spell with a club,let alone be hugely successful.
I can't understand why he isn't one of those featured with an image going up the jungle path. As you say: 3 spells with the club & hugely successful.

Oldsmobile-88

I can't understand why he isn't one of those featured with an image going up the jungle path. As you say: 3 spells with the club & hugely successful.
Totally agree with you...246 League appearances 71 league goals...Plus countless penalties won when he fell over in the area 😁...Tony Kellow said he was good at that 🤣

iscalad

Totally agree with you...246 League appearances 71 league goals...Plus countless penalties won when he fell over in the area 😁...Tony Kellow said he was good at that 🤣
Every time Nevs ran into the penalty area with the ball, the cry would ring around the ground "Fall over". Good times

Oldsmobile-88

Every time Nevs ran into the penalty area with the ball, the cry would ring around the ground "Fall over". Good times
Kells did a brilliant impersonation of him falling over one night & said even when he was fouled outside the box he would somehow make it to the Penalty Area before he went down 😁