• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January Transfer Window Ins Outs And Rumours

benjisheps

What if the budget is already exceeded?
Martin

Do you know what is/has gone on with the Boateng move to MK? Did it go to tribunal or did the two clubs reach an agreement?

Thanks

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It depends by how much.
I guess the prize money for getting through to FA Cup was not included in the budget neither was the prize money for the EFL thingy. That must be worth around 40- 50k.
I'm not talking about scores of thousands of pounds : I'm talking about a loan until the end of the season. It could be argued that not to fork out (say) 20k for that loan would be a false economy. It's not about what we would like to heve: it's about what we need.
If we decide we really need to sign a left-sided player and there is absolutely no money in the budget available then the only choice would be to get more value out of our young players who are out on loan. It may not be the best thing for his development but we could, for example, repeat what we did last season and send Jordan Tillson out on loan and Will Dean could take his place in the matchday squad.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
But the club have already admitted that income has exceeded expectations this season.
Matt said in his post match interview that to get someone in he would have to move someone out.

IndoMike

If we decide we really need to sign a left-sided player and there is absolutely no money in the budget available then the only choice would be to get more value out of our young players who are out on loan. It may not be the best thing for his development but we could, for example, repeat what we did last season and send Jordan Tillson out on loan and Will Dean could take his place in the matchday squad.
IMO the problem is specific : left-sided back/wing back. The options are:
1. Persevere with Richardson
2. Switch Williams to the left; Richardson to the right (but I don't think Williams is a wing- back : he's a winger)
3. Play Hartridge
4. Play someone from the youth team (but is there anybody?)
5. Get in a loan signing
6. Play Smerton (but it is assumed he's not yet ready).

The club will choose. Not an easy decision.

grecIAN Harris

IMO the problem is specific : left-sided back/wing back. The options are:
1. Persevere with Richardson
2. Switch Williams to the left; Richardson to the right (but I don't think Williams is a wing- back : he's a winger)
3. Play Hartridge
4. Play someone from the youth team (but is there anybody?)
5. Get in a loan signing
6. Play Smerton (but it is assumed he's not yet ready).

The club will choose. Not an easy decision.
It's irrelevant whether he plays on the left or the right he will play the same way, out wide with his primary objective to get at the full back. The only potential problem, as was pointed out to you during the build up to the Colchester game, is that he won't have Sweeney coming out from the back three to help out with the defensive work in the full back areas where Sweeney has played before but (for the time being anyway) it will be Parkes who is an out and out centre half (in my view) and maybe not quite so adept at covering for Wiliams. As and when Deano comes back into the side it's not so problematic as Deano's positional experiences are the same as Sweeneys.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Apparently we're after Rhys Murphy of Yeovil along with a number of other clubs. I rate this rumour as a 3 out of 10.

Red Devon

Apparently we're after Rhys Murphy of Yeovil along with a number of other clubs. I rate this rumour as a 3 out of 10.

Yeovil will probably have a problem to keep hold of him.

benjisheps

Where have you see this?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Where have you see this?
A Twitter transfer rumour account.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
But the club have already admitted that income has exceeded expectations this season.
Yep but they haven't said anything about costs and whether they have exceeded original budgets.