• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Salford City v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps the Posh need an overrated striker again.
If you are referring to Tom Nichols I think you will find he is doing rather well two goals for Bristol Rovers who now sit comfortably in the League One playoff positions.

Legohead

Banned
A couple of great saves from Maxted there. I wouldn't say three as the first was pretty much hit straight at him and was routine for any keeper really. That was down to poor finishing. The two at near point blank though were game savers. He was beaten for the one that hit the bar too but overall a very, very pleasing day for JM indeed.

Also who was it that missed our very first chance on the highlights as I cant quite make him out as the picture is fuzzy although I think it's Fisher. That was an appalling miss.

It looked like we rode our luck yesterday but we got the job done in the end.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Watching those highlights again it prove what I keep saying about a supply line. Put a decent ball in to the right areas for Bowman to attack and he will score goals. His movement against defenders on the back foot is decent and he is very hard to deal with.

Legohead

Banned
Watching those highlights again it prove what I keep saying about a supply line. Put a decent ball in to the right areas for Bowman to attack and he will score goals. His movement against defenders on the back foot is decent and he is very hard to deal with.
I said this in the games I saw recently at Scunny and Bradford away. Bradford away in particular. We were too obsessed with faffing around with the ball playing pretty neat little interchanges of passing instead of playing to the strengths of Bowman and hoying balls into the area for him. I noticed this v Argyle too although when we did manage to get a decent cross in he had a great chance early on that he fluffed. Although on that day we didn't need his goals to put away a sorry Argyle side.

The goal yesterday and the one v Hartlepool show us what we need to be offering Bowman if we are to get the best out of him and I don't believe we play that way often enough opting to keep cutting back play from the touchline and spreading play back across the middle.

It's a great point Ian Harris and perhaps I've been doing Bowman a bit of disservice not recognising this point.

grecIAN Harris

I said this in the games I saw recently at Scunny and Bradford away. Bradford away in particular. We were too obsessed with faffing around with the ball playing pretty neat little interchanges of passing instead of playing to the strengths of Bowman and hoying balls into the area for him. I noticed this v Argyle too although when we did manage to get a decent cross in he had a great chance early on that he fluffed. Although on that day we didn't need his goals to put away a sorry Argyle side.

The goal yesterday and the one v Hartlepool show us what we need to be offering Bowman if we are to get the best out of him and I don't believe we play that way often enough opting to keep cutting back play from the touchline and spreading play back across the middle.

It's a great point Ian Harris and perhaps I've been doing Bowman a bit of disservice not recognising this point.
It's also the very same reason I keep banging on about Williams too. It's not that I don't rate Williams, I do, but at the end of the day it's goals that win matches and you have to give your striker the best chance of scoring them. Bowman needs service in front of him to attack and Williams on the right doesn't allow for this often enough.

andrew p long

Crikey those second and third saves were top class!

IndoMike

It's also the very same reason I keep banging on about Williams too. It's not that I don't rate Williams, I do, but at the end of the day it's goals that win matches and you have to give your striker the best chance of scoring them. Bowman needs service in front of him to attack and Williams on the right doesn't allow for this often enough.
Great diagonal ball to Bowman for the goal.

Legohead

Banned
Yes Ian Harris. In the Argyle game I think it was actually Williams that did manage to get a few crosses in for Bowman including IIRC the one early doors which Bowman fluffed at the back post. But by and large Williams doesn't look to hit early balls into the area.

grecIAN Harris

Great diagonal ball to Bowman for the goal.
From Sweeney, yes. Or are you on about the diagonal ball from Parkes out to Sweeney.

IndoMike

From Sweeney, yes. Or are you on about the diagonal ball from Parkes out to Sweeney.
I said the cross from Sweeney, to Bowman, but the ball.from Parkes out to Sweeney was decent, too