• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Salford City v Exeter City Matchday Thread

budegrecian

Just some random observations from the day yesterday:
Although I don't like the whole Salford vanity project thing, the stewards & staff were very friendly.
I don't think the commmunity pub, The Star, quite new what hit them when the City masses turned up.
Nearly 700 for an away day north of Manchester just before Xmas was a fantastic turn out.
First time I'd noticed the Big Bank flag celebrating the recent Devon Derby win - great stuff.
It was one of those hard fought games that makes the win even sweeter.
I woukd have gladly taken a point, if it had been offered, during the first 20 mins; they clearly wanted to test our stamina after 2 hard games during the preceding week, but gradually we got into the game.
Sweeney looked particularly vulnerable early on, with Jervis giving him a hard time down the flank but his cross for the goal was excellent & after a poor pass that nearly set Salford up for an equaliser he got to grips with the game & Jervis & looked much more composed.
JM in goal, & the Aaron Martin & Tom Parkes were excellent. Deanno also did well in the Wing back role.
Our midfield were great, particularly when we didn't have possession; their discipline & pressing was fantastic. Nige continues to get better & better, whilst Archie is just a class act; he may not look as flamboyant as Grimes but he's almost as effective. Not sure how long we can keep him for.
Great to see Ryan score & although Randall Williams didn't have his best game (possibly carrying a knock) he did get in a few good first time crosses with his right foot, to dispel the notion that he always has to cut back onto his left.
It's a long old poke from Cornwall but it was well worth it!

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I said the cross from Sweeney, to Bowman, but the ball.from Parkes out to Sweeney was decent, too
My apologies. As my post that you quoted was on about Williams I thought your inference was that Williams had put the cross in.

IndoMike

My apologies. As my post that you quoted was on about Williams I thought your inference was that Williams had put the cross in.
No, it was my inconcise post. But yes, I did mean Sweeney to Bowman. That kind of angled cross is perfect for glancing headers.

IndoMike

Just some random observations from the day yesterday:
Although I don't like the whole Salford vanity project thing, the stewards & staff were very friendly.
I don't think the commmunity pub, The Star, quite new what hit them when the City masses turned up.
Nearly 700 for an away day north of Manchester just before Xmas was a fantastic turn out.
First time I'd noticed the Big Bank flag celebrating the recent Devon Derby win - great stuff.
It was one of those hard fought games that makes the win even sweeter.
I woukd have gladly taken a point, if it had been offered, during the first 20 mins; they clearly wanted to test our stamina after 2 hard games during the preceding week, but gradually we got into the game.
Sweeney looked particularly vulnerable early on, with Jervis giving him a hard time down the flank but his cross for the goal was excellent & after a poor pass that nearly set Salford up for an equaliser he got to grips with the game & Jervis & looked much more composed.
JM in goal, & the Aaron Martin & Tom Parkes were excellent. Deanno also did well in the Wing back role.
Our midfield were great, particularly when we didn't have possession; their discipline & pressing was fantastic. Nige continues to get better & better, whilst Archie is just a class act; he may not look as flamboyant as Grimes but he's almost as effective. Not sure how long we can keep him for.
Great to see Ryan score & although Randall Williams didn't have his best game (possibly carrying a knock) he did get in a few good first time crosses with his right foot, to dispel the notion that he always has to cut back onto his left.
It's a long old poke from Cornwall but it was well worth it!
Great effort from you to do.that round trip.
I don't see why people are a bit peeved about Salford moving up the leagues, though. If they've been lucky enough to attract investment from (I would say) people with a genuine love of the game then so be it. If they run the club ethically and stay within their budget I can't see the problem And as you say, the Salford folk are down to earth and not strolling around like big shots.
Good luck to them.

StroudGrecian

Is there.something wrong with.your keyboard.Indy?

Red Devon

There was an unusual delay to kickoff yesterday when the referee made the Pitch Invasion control Officer who was standing on the touch line change his hi vis vest as it clashed with our yellow away kit...he then spent the first half in a black jacket before changing to an orange vis for the second of which he spent what looked the whole match watching the game instead of facing the crowd.

Arthur Davey

I don't see why people are a bit peeved about Salford moving up the leagues, though. If they've been lucky enough to attract investment from (I would say) people with a genuine love of the game then so be it. If they run the club ethically and stay within their budget I can't see the problem And as you say, the Salford folk are down to earth and not strolling around like big shots.
Good luck to them.
Yep, it's just a shame that the Class of '92 felt the need to strip the club of its original identity and "rebrand" it as a sort of mini-ManU, to me that's the vanity bit. I also think, as others might have alluded, that perhaps a pity the Neville brothers couldn't have found a way of helping Bury, given their family ties. But as you say, good luck to 'em.

Legohead

Banned
Some thoughts from the cavernous abyss that is the Salford fans forum site:

'......i wasn't massively impressed by them (Exeter) compared to, say, Swindon or Forest Green which maybe says a lot about the relative strength of L2.'

'....an Exeter side that looked slightly better than ordinary...'

'The Exeter goalkeeper was a bit too good (lucky?) for my liking.'

Grecian2K

Mind you, in his post match interview even KMT admitted that he hadn't been "overly impressed" either, but points is points and honest acknowledgement from the boss that we could still be doing better is surely a strong, and realistic, springboard for the rest of the season.

Legohead

Banned
I think that we are a side that more often than not ends up 'grinding' out a result often when we are not at our best. When you compare that to Swindon for example who seem to be smashing teams every week and we are only 3 points off them then perhaps it will be our year after all?