• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Only one team in Devon

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
But it does also show that reliance on social media as the answer to everything might be a tad optimistic!
It's technically correct, however.

Plymouth and Torbay have not been legally part of Devon since 1998, when they became Unitary Authorities.

They are however still part of Devon for ceremonial purposes.

The previous big changes in the county boundaries were in 1844 when the detached bits of Cornwall and Dorset in Devon and vice versa were exchanged by an Act of Parliament; there were also some more minor exchanges of territory later.

Interestingly, Exeter was also somewhat of an anomaly until recently: formally it was “the County of the City of Exeter”, with its own Sheriff and Quarter Sessions, and some other independent features, but otherwise part of the County of Devon, until 1974 when its semi-detached legal status was abolished.

(apologies for the nerdy nature of this but I'm writing a book on the history of Devon so have to know about these things).

Legohead

Banned
Sorry to pry John William but about the book you are writing. Are you writing it purely to get it published for your own satisfaction of achievement or do you intend to market it and sell copies?

I ask because I too am also writing books now and the one I'm doing at the moment you could argue would have a limited target audience.

Much like a book on the history of Devon may do I would have thought.

Personally I want to write the book for my own sense of satisfaction but I also want to make it available for people to buy more out of curiosity to see how well / badly it does.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
John.
I take it you are aware of Prof W G Bodkin's History of Devon? Sadly it's long out of print so yours might well fill a vital gap once finished.
I do have a copy of the same author's 2,000 Years of Exeter - that is an interesting read too.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry to pry John William but about the book you are writing. Are you writing it purely to get it published for your own satisfaction of achievement or do you intend to market it and sell copies?

I ask because I too am also writing books now and the one I'm doing at the moment you could argue would have a limited target audience.

Much like a book on the history of Devon may do I would have thought.

Personally I want to write the book for my own sense of satisfaction but I also want to make it available for people to buy more out of curiosity to see how well / badly it does.
Sent you a PM.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
John.
I take it you are aware of Prof W G Bodkin's History of Devon? Sadly it's long out of print so yours might well fill a vital gap once finished.
I do have a copy of the same author's 2,000 Years of Exeter - that is an interesting read too.
I have Hoskins' book and all his other stuff, he was a pioneer of serious local history, as well as just about every other relevant tome, but mine is a more detailed study of a shorter period (c. 1750-1885) and focuses on transport with a couple of more general contextual chapters.

The only other general history of Devon is by Robin Stanes but that is a shorter treatment and not helpful to my work.

Grecian2K

Sounds interesting - let us all now when it's published. Be right at the top of my shopping list!!

denzel

It's technically correct, however.

Plymouth and Torbay have not been legally part of Devon since 1998, when they became Unitary Authorities.

They are however still part of Devon for ceremonial purposes.

The previous big changes in the county boundaries were in 1844 when the detached bits of Cornwall and Dorset in Devon and vice versa were exchanged by an Act of Parliament; there were also some more minor exchanges of territory later.

Interestingly, Exeter was also somewhat of an anomaly until recently: formally it was “the County of the City of Exeter”, with its own Sheriff and Quarter Sessions, and some other independent features, but otherwise part of the County of Devon, until 1974 when its semi-detached legal status was abolished.

(apologies for the nerdy nature of this but I'm writing a book on the history of Devon so have to know about these things).
I hope your book incorporates the proper Devon flag and not that ghastly green aberration....

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope your book incorporates the proper Devon flag and not that ghastly green aberration....
Agree 100%. The front cover will however probably be a beautiful engraving of the tollhouse on Shaldon Bridge at the time of the ill-fated Atmospheric Railway.

Grecian2K

The Devon flag (or Snot Rag as I prefer to call it) has absolutely no historical or heraldic heritage whatsoever, coming about as a result of a poll by the entirely "non-tamarcentric" Radio Devon and based on a scrawl done by an effin' student. There are strong suggestions of foreign interference in the voting, although in this instance the culprits were Cornish rather than Russian!

An article on Devon Lies justifies the hideous choice of hue thus:
"Gr**n is said to be the colour that is most associated with Devon because it is the colour of Devon's Rugby Team, the official colour of Exeter University, AND IS THE COLOUR OF PL*MUFF ARG*LE"
(Brief pause here while the nurse fetches me a sick bag!!!)

Thankfully, and perhaps surprisingly, the article does not also point out that ghastly gr**n is also the official colour used our own City council.

This last fact I find particularly offensive and I believe ALL true, red-blooded Dumnominorians should be lobbying our local representatives for a change to a more appropriate and pleasing colour forthwith. Such a move would, I'm sure, be a guaranteed vote winner!

Yours sincerely
Mr Grumpy of At Thomas

Grecian Max

Jesus Christ Matt Russell you are a bore