• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Worst Ever Performance

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
That was the worst team selection, not worst display.
To be honest, we hardly touched the ball, so nobody could be said to have played badly 🙃

andrew p long

I hadn't been supporting Exeter for long when we lost to them. I thought we were invincible!
Alvechurch was bad for me too. I had just started at University and managed to go to the 3-1 victory at WBA. I was full of it until the Alvechurch game , which i didn’t see, but got plenty of ribbing.

And when were moving here to the West Midlands my wife said ‘there’s a place called Alvechurch that I think we should live in’. I dodged that but can you imagine ....

sidney

Alvechurch was bad for me too. I had just started at University and managed to go to the 3-1 victory at WBA. I was full of it until the Alvechurch game , which i didn’t see, but got plenty of ribbing.

And when were moving here to the West Midlands my wife said ‘there’s a place called Alvechurch that I think we should live in’. I dodged that but can you imagine ....
I used to drive through Bedford on my way to university. It was always a troubling half an hour.

Rosencrantz

There was a 5-0 drubbing at Orient under Bally where only the late introduction of Buster gave any hope for the future. The soaking in the open away end didn't help the mood either.

Red Devon

The 6:3 defeat at WestBrom at the beginning of 91/92 has got to be right up there...we were truly awful that day and our three goals certainly flattered us...in-fact the whole of August was pretty horrific that year but credit to Bally for sorting it out as quick as he did.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
There was a 5-0 drubbing at Orient under Bally where only the late introduction of Buster gave any hope for the future. The soaking in the open away end didn't help the mood either.
And still we outsung them - I brought along my Everton-supporting mate and he was mightily impressed (not with our performance!).

Orient decided to take the pee by introducing Ricky Otto late on. He spent the rest of the match with the ball glued to his feet with defenders trailing in his wake.

Sergeant

The worst performance I remember, probably aided by the other team being woeful as well, was a 0-0 midweek home draw against Barnet in 94. Both teams languishing at the bottom of the table and neither team would have scored if they played for a week. Truly atrocious.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The worst performance I remember, probably aided by the other team being woeful as well, was a 0-0 midweek home draw against Barnet in 94. Both teams languishing at the bottom of the table and neither team would have scored if they played for a week. Truly atrocious.
Torquay on Boxing Day the following season was also "memorable" for how bad it was - the only thing I can remember from the match was the Torquay forward blazing over an empty net into SJR from about 8 inches.

ECFC89

One that has always stuck out for me, was when we flying quite high in the conference and Burton Albion turned up at SJP and turned us over 4-1. A 3-1 defeat to the then named Gravesend and Northfleet also sticks out.

Oldsmobile-88

The reverse fixture at Underhill was just as bad a few weeks before.
Barnet were bottom of the division by a mile & the Grecians lost 2-1 iirc(both teams relegated unsurprisingly eventually)
What I do remember vividly was the stick the players got at full time when they came over to acknowledge the travelling support..No happy clappers in those days if it was abysmal..The whole sorry trip was finished off with the coach breaking down on the M4 & filling up with smoke.
Got back at about 0500 in work at 0800..Those were the days :D