• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Worst Ever Performance

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
One in particular sticks in the mind. League 1 v Brighton at the Withdean, Feb 2010. An awful performance on a bitterly cold day, not been so angry with a City team before or since, they just gave up. 22nd in the table.

I wonder if Matt Taylor remembers it, he had a shocker, one of many on the day !
3-0 if my memory serves me correctly.

That was a bad day, decent night out after though...

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Couple spring to mind, both evening games in the cold if I remember rightly. First one in the early 2000s we lost 5-2 at home to Kidderminster, we even took the lead but they absolutely shredded us and it could have been more.
That was in the last days of Neil MacNab in our relegation season and was the 4th of 5th successive defeats. Thankfully I managed to miss them all but objectively speaking they must be some of the worst performances in our history.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Away to Liverpool in the FA Cup. Tisdale held up the white flag even before the match had started with the scandalous selection of his old fogey mates. I am.convinced that he was trying to show off by picking 3 ex-PL players for that match. Will never, ever forgive him for that shameful surrender.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed. Just five days before Blair's 1997 landslide...which saw "our Ben" first elected to parliament.
At least the latter result eased the pain for a while....after all "Things could only get better"....albeit with quite a few bumps along the way.
(Also, if I remember correctly, that was the infamous game when Urine Geller planted his "magic crystals" in the St James Rd goal....1-0 up at half time attacking that goal. 1-5 down by the end. Nice one Uri!!!)
It was also the second last game of the season and we needed a win to stay in the league. Ended up being safe despite losing 5-1 because the two teams below us were playing each other on the last day and in those days only one could go down. Noel Blake also got sent-off for, I think, dissent.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Far too many to talk about them all but one obvious one that I don't think has been mentioned was the 4-0 defeat away at Bristol City in Febraury 2000 in the regional final of the Autoglass/ Auto Windscreens Trophy. The only time I can remember us having three players sent off!

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
One in particular sticks in the mind. League 1 v Brighton at the Withdean, Feb 2010. An awful performance on a bitterly cold day, not been so angry with a City team before or since, they just gave up. 22nd in the table.

I wonder if Matt Taylor remembers it, he had a shocker, one of many on the day !
Not sure if it was that game but most of the squad had gone down with a sickness bug. Unsurprisingly we lost

iscalad

Away to Liverpool in the FA Cup. Tisdale held up the white flag even before the match had started with the scandalous selection of his old fogey mates. I am.convinced that he was trying to show off by picking 3 ex-PL players for that match. Will never, ever forgive him for that shameful surrender.
That was the worst team selection, not worst display.

elginCity

Not sure if it was that game but most of the squad had gone down with a sickness bug. Unsurprisingly we lost
No, that was another dire game (the 3-0 loss) the following season, tho same year late 2010. As you say, mitigating circumstances for that poor performance.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
That Brighton match struck me as us being woefully short of confidence rather than a lack of effort, so I "let them off" that one. Warrington was one where we did everything but score about 10 - their goal seemed to have a force field around it, so again I "let them off". Grimsby last season reminded me of that one to a certain extent.

Others have also been mentioned that I'd rather have blocked out, like the 0-3 at Dagenham in the FA Cup (live on Sky). Another in the dim and distant past (for me anyway) was a 0-4 drubbing at Fulham where we were 1-0 down after about 10 seconds.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seem to remember a 6-1(?) defeat at Ninian Park when Noel Blake was manager. Blakey's post-match interviews were all war metaphors and his solutions seemed to be just to set up a conveyor belt of new (mediocre) players. Was it under Blake that we had Steve Flack playing "off the big man", with Kevin Francis as the big number 9? The days of misery all blur into one for me. Anyone who imagines Liverpool away or a Wembley final to be a nadir hasn't been watching long or has a very short memory. One of the most depressing games I remember is a 1-0 defeat to Northampton(?) where their goal came from a big hoof up the pitch from an Exeter corner, when we had no man back... Peter Fox days. Anyone remember?