• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ivanhoe 1952. Robert Taylor as Ivanhoe , Elizabeth Taylor looking lovely as Rebecca and Joan Fontaine as Rowena. Good film , plenty of action especially the tournament and trial by combat bits. Not as good as the 1997 BBC six part series which was more gritty , but not bad for it’s time. 7/10

Colesman Ballz

The Wicker Man. Yes a great film. I recall a subsequent interview with Britt who had no prior knowledge of the body double. Britt's contract had a "nudity clause" preventing any naked shots below her waist, so in order to circumvent it, the studio, after Britt had left the set, brought the double in to do the rear full length shots. Britt's scathing assessment was "Some stripper wearing a cheap blonde wig and having a big fat arse"!

A year or so later whilst touring Scotland, I chanced upon the beautiful "island" village and it's palm tree lined shore. It is actually Plockton, on the mainland, a few miles from Kyle of Lochalsh, and sits facing east on a sea loch. A stunning place. On another trip I visited the Laird's castle. That too is on the mainland, but a couple of hundred miles further south, Culzean Castle in Ayrshire.

I shall have to dig out my CD and have another watch myself. I will definitely not be revisiting the awful Hollywood remake where they switched the setting to an island off their Pacific NW coast. Not a patch on the original British low budget "cult classic".

Alistair20000

The Wicker Man. Yes a great film. I recall a subsequent interview with Britt who had no prior knowledge of the body double. Britt's contract had a "nudity clause" preventing any naked shots below her waist, so in order to circumvent it, the studio, after Britt had left the set, brought the double in to do the rear full length shots. Britt's scathing assessment was "Some stripper wearing a cheap blonde wig and having a big fat arse"!

A year or so later whilst touring Scotland, I chanced upon the beautiful "island" village and it's palm tree lined shore. It is actually Plockton, on the mainland, a few miles from Kyle of Lochalsh, and sits facing east on a sea loch. A stunning place. On another trip I visited the Laird's castle. That too is on the mainland, but a couple of hundred miles further south, Culzean Castle in Ayrshire.

I shall have to dig out my CD and have another watch myself. I will definitely not be revisiting the awful Hollywood remake where they switched the setting to an island off their Pacific NW coast. Not a patch on the original British low budget "cult classic".
Cannot say I spotted a big fat arse in any of the Willow scenes.

The Cage remake was worthy of a trip to the Feckin’ Dire thread IMHO although some time Exeweb film buff Tony Moxey gave it a decent marking IIRC.

Did you take a dram at The Green Man Mr Ballz ?

Colesman Ballz

Cannot say I spotted a big fat arse in any of the Willow scenes.

The Cage remake was worthy of a trip to the Feckin’ Dire thread IMHO although some time Exeweb film buff Tony Moxey gave it a decent marking IIRC.

Did you take a dram at The Green Man Mr Ballz ?
I suppose that Britt was just emphasising she considered that which was on display was of far inferior quality. Of course that raises the question that if she was so proud of her own derriere, why had she had insisted on the clause in the first place. Perhaps it was just an unfortunate bi product of preventing lower frontal nudity ?

As for the Green Man, camping in the local site, ensured two nights sampling of refreshments in the village hostelry, but whether it was the same building or not I cannot recall. The interior shots in the film would have probably have been a studio set anyway. Something similar had happened a couple of years previously, in Cornwall. My girlfriend's 'bezzie' mate was engaged to a member of the Wolverhampton Mountaineering Club, and in those days it was de riggeur, for just about every climbing club to go on an Easter Jolly to West Cornwall, cliff climbing by day, and drinking by night, so we went along for the social side.

Although we camped in a site attached to the First and Last pub in Sennen, the problem arose that it. and every other coastal pub was packed out with climbers. So for our evening refreshment we ventured a few miles inland to the village of St Buryan. This had been used as the setting for Straw Dogs the previous year, and the "pub" in that film was in reality a small corner cottage with a sign appended. We adjourned to the larger real pub, which had obviously seen service for the relaxation by the cast and crew. Pride of place on the wall was a photo of Dustin Hoffman playing the pub piano, whilst the delectable Susan George leant on the top, pint in hand singing along. Now I don't about you Al, but if I had been there it wouldn't have been "the ivories" that I would have fancied tickling !

Alistair20000

I suppose that Britt was just emphasising she considered that which was on display was of far inferior quality. Of course that raises the question that if she was so proud of her own derriere, why had she had insisted on the clause in the first place. Perhaps it was just an unfortunate bi product of preventing lower frontal nudity ?

As for the Green Man, camping in the local site, ensured two nights sampling of refreshments in the village hostelry, but whether it was the same building or not I cannot recall. The interior shots in the film would have probably have been a studio set anyway. Something similar had happened a couple of years previously, in Cornwall. My girlfriend's 'bezzie' mate was engaged to a member of the Wolverhampton Mountaineering Club, and in those days it was de riggeur, for just about every climbing club to go on an Easter Jolly to West Cornwall, cliff climbing by day, and drinking by night, so we went along for the social side.

Although we camped in a site attached to the First and Last pub in Sennen, the problem arose that it. and every other coastal pub was packed out with climbers. So for our evening refreshment we ventured a few miles inland to the village of St Buryan. This had been used as the setting for Straw Dogs the previous year, and the "pub" in that film was in reality a small corner cottage with a sign appended. We adjourned to the larger real pub, which had obviously seen service for the relaxation by the cast and crew. Pride of place on the wall was a photo of Dustin Hoffman playing the pub piano, whilst the delectable Susan George leant on the top, pint in hand singing along. Now I don't about you Al, but if I had been there it wouldn't have been "the ivories" that I would have fancied tickling !
Britt was three months pregnant when the film was made which might have come into it.

As for Susan George she was also bleddy gorgeous. Rewatched her in Tales of the Unexpected “Royal Jelly” episode the other day :love:

iscalad

Britt was three months pregnant when the film was made which might have come into it.

As for Susan George she was also bleddy gorgeous. Rewatched her in Tales of the Unexpected “Royal Jelly” episode the other day :love:
I watched that episode. Scary in its day, I expect.

Alistair20000

I watched that episode. Scary in its day, I expect.
Buzz, buzz.

Mr Jinx

Just watched Vice and Green Book. Both very good.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ivanhoe 1952. Robert Taylor as Ivanhoe , Elizabeth Taylor looking lovely as Rebecca and Joan Fontaine as Rowena. Good film , plenty of action especially the tournament and trial by combat bits. Not as good as the 1997 BBC six part series which was more gritty , but not bad for it’s time. 7/10
I thought the jousting scenes in that film were the best I've ever seen. I recently watched the jousters at Warwick castle who's speed seemed almost pedestrian compared to that of the film's Black Knight/Ivanhoe. The jousting in Anthony Andrews' Ivanhoe was equally ropey as one of the knights knocked from his horse was clearly a dummy with very bendy legs.

DB9

I thought the jousting scenes in that film were the best I've ever seen. I recently watched the jousters at Warwick castle who's speed seemed almost pedestrian compared to that of the film's Black Knight/Ivanhoe. The jousting in Anthony Andrews' Ivanhoe was equally ropey as one of the knights knocked from his horse was clearly a dummy with very bendy legs.
Back in 1952 Stuffers H&E wasn't around and the stuntmen really took one for the team so to speak, Loads of older films have the best action bits because either the actual stars did them or the stuntmen took more chances