• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jo Swinson or Ed Davey to succeed St Vince of Cable ?

Votes please.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Votes please.
Ms Swinson for me please. Seems smart and articulate - albeit a tad Scottish.

Ded Ed Davey comes across like a Mini-Clegg who failed the original audition. Should there be another coalition love-in in the fabled Rose Garden the Tory sharks would eat him for breakfast.

Temporarily Exiled

BOJO only has to beat Corbyn in the GE.

Votes please.
I'm voting for Swinson, but I think it'll be close. She's less stale, speaks with conviction, and seems far more relatable. Still think Davey would be fine as a leader, just has a lower ceiling.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Having had a quick glance it seems that the bloke is implying that if the message coming from the company is positive then everything will be ok. Also that the figures refer to British sales. But anyway, better to have good news than not. I was surprised to see sales in China fell by 43%, however. Is their economy suffering more than I thought?

IndoMike

Interesting to note the reference to Mercosur block (Argentina Brazil Paraguay & Uruguay). Trade deals increasingly negotiated between blocs rather than individual nation states just as "global Britain" seems to be going in the opposite direction. You know it makes sense....
Apparently this deal was 20 years in the making, which shows the difficulty in making trade deals, something which Fox seemed to think would be easy according to his failed promise.
This opens up free trade to countries with a total population of 800 million, and allows the four South American countries to export agricultural products to the EU +++. This will surely make it more difficult to export our own agricultural products to the EU and to trade significantly with the four aforementioned countries.

Alistair20000

No chance that the Labour vote would be that low and TBP that high. Doubt that the Lib Dems would poll that high either.

Temporarily Exiled

No chance that the Labour vote would be that low and TBP that high. Doubt that the Lib Dems would poll that high either.
I mean, that's the polling. Corbyn is historically unpopular as an opposition leader and the Labour Party are advocating a policy that the overwhelming majority of their members and voters vociferously disagree with. Perhaps more worrying for Labour is that, even if (under Corbyn) Labour switch to mirror the Lib Dem Brexit position they don't actually pull away from the Lib Dems. To me that says a number of people now won't trust Corbyn on Brexit even if he does start saying things they agree with, on the basis that they don't trust him or just outright prefer the Lib Dems under Jo Swinson (she isn't leader, but that was the polling question).

Last edited:

Alistair20000

I mean, that's the polling. Corbyn is historically unpopular as an opposition leader and the Labour Party are advocating a policy that the overwhelming majority of their members and voters vociferously disagree with. Perhaps more worrying for Labour is that, even if (under Corbyn) Labour switch to mirror the Lib Dem Brexit position they don't actually pull away from the Lib Dems. To me that says a number of people now won't trust Corbyn on Brexit even if he does start saying things they agree with, on the basis that they don't trust him or just outright prefer the Lib Dems under Jo Swinson (she isn't leader, but that was the polling question).
If you believe this (not sure I do) Comrade Corbyn may be on the way out of front line politics which could change the dynamics.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/jeremy-corbyn-70-is-too-frail-to-be-pm-and-may-be-forced-to-stand-down-as-labour-leader-because-he-is-not-physically-or-mentally-up-to-the-job-senior-civil-servants-fear/ar-AADzKDn?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=iehp

arthur

"Just rejoice at that news". Not altogether surprising , but very welcome. I've been thinking the time must surely be fast approaching when McDonnell and Watson have a quiet word with Jeremy "where's my Glasto invitation" Corbyn and suggest he spends more time with his allotment. The departure of him, and, more importantly, Milne, Murray, Murphy and McCluskey from the stage would transform the political landscape..

Mr Jinx

Ms Swinson for me please. Seems smart and articulate - albeit a tad Scottish.

Ded Ed Davey comes across like a Mini-Clegg who failed the original audition. Should there be another coalition love-in in the fabled Rose Garden the Tory sharks would eat him for breakfast.
Because what we really need at this juncture is yet another shouty Scottish woman.

Last edited: