• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Wembley?

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is the Wembley pitch bigger than SJP?
t'internet stuff I've found says

Wembley now narrowed to 115 x75
SJP 114x73
Carlisle 112x74

IndoMike

If the pitch is big I reckon JMT and Brown will be doing a bit of hoofing. In that case I'd like our speed merchants to be playing. For me Wheeler, Grant, Holmes and Watkins should start. However, another possibility would be to save Holmes and Grant for last 30 minutes and attack as B'pool tire. The good thing is that Tiz has eventually created a flexible and squad-based side. Any one from 18 or 19 could fit in

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Assuming no injuries I would like as follows, with Grant Tilson Sweeney and Mcallinden included on the bench amongst others

Pym
Stacey Brown JMT Woodman
Wheeler Harley Taylor holmes
Watkins Reid
I like this side but it's unbalanced: too many attacking players - we'd get overrun in midfield. This is the problem. Who to leave out to have James or preferably Tillson to balance the team? Can Holmes play more defensively? I don't envy Tis this conundrum.

So I'd go for something like the side that started on Thursday, but maybe Reid for Holmes and Ollie on the left. Pym v. Olejnik is a coin toss for me.

IndoMike

t'internet stuff I've found says

Wembley now narrowed to 115 x75
SJP 114x73
Carlisle 112x74
Thanks Andrew. My tactics have just flown out the window. Who'd be an ersatz manager (worry)

Avening Posse

I like this side but it's unbalanced: too many attacking players - we'd get overrun in midfield. This is the problem. Who to leave out to have James or preferably Tillson to balance the team? Can Holmes play more defensively? I don't envy Tis this conundrum.

So I'd go for something like the side that started on Thursday, but maybe Reid for Holmes and Ollie on the left. Pym v. Olejnik is a coin toss for me.
Understand your point of view, I am coming from them having a meaner defence than us but don't score quite as many goals (although not far behind). I think our forward line is up there by League 2 standards (maybe even the best but accept I am a tad biased), but I am certainly not convinced our defence is unfortunately. So for me, I think we have to accept it is likely we will be conceding, so I would go balls out on the basis we have to score more

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Understand your point of view, I am coming from them having a meaner defence than us but don't score quite as many goals (although not far behind). I think our forward line is up there by League 2 standards (maybe even the best but accept I am a tad biased), but I am certainly not convinced our defence is unfortunately. So for me, I think we have to accept it is likely we will be conceding, so I would go balls out on the basis we have to score more
Dilemmas like this are why we pay Tis all that money. Even when we were bottom in November and lots of us were unhappy, and when he perplexed us with some of his decisions and tactics, like any manager he has had to balance his available resources and could only have 11 players on the pitch at any time.

Red red

Pym
Stacey. JMT. Brown. Woodman
Wheeler. James. Taylor. Holmes
Watkins
Reid
Subs
Olejnik
Ampadu
Grant
Mclinden
Harley
Tilson
Sweeney

Ash

Pym
Stacey. JMT. Brown. Woodman
Wheeler. James. Taylor. Holmes
Watkins
Reid
Subs
Olejnik
Ampadu
Grant
Mclinden
Harley
Tilson
Sweeney
You're leaving Harley on the bench? A proven big game player who pops up with important contributions at the right times?

IndoMike

Bobby
Stacy, Brown, JMT, Woodman
Wheeler, James, Taylor,
Harley
Reid, Watkins

Subs:
Tilson - if we need to tighten up
Grant
Holmes

iscalad