• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

First fifteen minutes on saturday

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sounds like the success of the RL's big night against Liverpool has gone to a few peoples's heads. What a shame.
Could you explain that comment? I don' t get it

Grecian Max

A few things:

• This a simple, small (no one claims it's big time) way of showing our disappointment in yet another underachieving season. Don't forget that whilst the RL is only 4/5 months old, we are all long term supporters - this isn't just about 2 games, this is about the bigger picture of general underachievement.

• We believe, as I think a lot of others do that this team is good enough for a top 7 finish, at least it has the quality to properly compete for those positions. They aren't reaching their potential, fact.

• We don't think we're bigger than club or it's gone to our heads or whatever other pretty easy shot people want to take. We just want to show, for (only) 15 minutes that we're not happy with the situation. It's all a bit comfortable at the moment at SJP, they get decent support home and away from all City fans and aren't repaying that dedication with any consistency.

• Criticism was going to happen, we predicted that as we're not idiots. Sometimes you've got to put your head above the parapet if you have something to say that you feel needs saying.

• The main thing to remember is this - it's a challenge to the players to raise the atmosphere themselves with a performance that has the passion and dedication that all city fans expect and want to see. Some fans might show their dissatisfaction by shouting at Tis from the OG or booing at the end of a game. This is our way of doing things, it's a free country and harms no one. From 15 minutes it'll be business as usual, we desperately want the win as much as the next fan. In fact beyond those 15 minutes, it'll be business as usual from here on out. It may work, it may not - we're giving it a go though instead of tweeting, bit of fan action in the ground is always welcome IMO.

Lastly, the point of RL is to bring noise, colour and backing to the side week in, week out. That doesn't change apart from 15 minutes. Certainly it doesn't exist to blindly follow and be unrelentingly positive in face of mediocrity.

You may agree, you may not agree. We're not going to please everyone, but we will stand by our decisions and take the Steve Flack if required.

UTC and here's to three points.

Last edited:

Barum

15 minutes of silence won't achieve anything.

Mid table mediocrity. We need 15 minutes of tisdale out (or to that effect) at the start of the game if people really want change.

The impact to the players doesn't matter. We're not going up and we're not going down.
nail on head...... Time to go tisdale

GrecianWonder

Hope you don't sing 'loyal supporters' anymore. Was a pointless chant anyway.

CraigECFC

The amount of time and effort we have put into this club over the past few months is beyond belief so for you to go and say we aren't loyal supporters is far from the truth.

STURTZ

Why not sing for 70 mins and then replace the youngsters with old farts (like me) with synchronised moaning.

GrecianWonder

The amount of time and effort we have put into this club over the past few months is beyond belief so for you to go and say we aren't loyal supporters is far from the truth.
Do you know the definition of loyal?

CraigECFC

Yes and we will continue to give such support and effort after this 15 minutes, it's not a negative move if you read and understand the aims. We are here to stay and hopefully keep improving the atmosphere at SJP.

davecg

Do you know the definition of loyal?
As a supporter my loyalty is to the club, not the players or managers who come and go... If those representing my club aren't performing then they need to know. I'd like to think we have a board capable of expressing their disappointments and setting goals that need to be achieved within reason, but we don't.... so here we are.

Terryhall

I still look at it a bit differently. Of course you're entitled to do what you decide to do and whatever I have to say about that matters precisely zero %, but I would say what are the best / worst outcomes.

Best outcome - you have your 15 minute protest, it motivates the players to up their game, and we come out with a positive result. You get your frustration off your chest and City get 3 points.
Worst outcome - you have your 15 minute protest, the players feel the pressure and we go behind, the rest of the atmosphere goes flat and starting chants from the 16th minute onwards doesn't get it back, and we lose, meaning we've lost 3 on the bounce, and we go into the Oxford game with form and morale both rock-bottom. You get your frustration off your chest and City are in an even worse downward spiral than we were before.

Now I can't say either of those is more likely to happen than the other - but I can say that the worst outcome is significantly more negative than the best outcome is positive - e.g. the club we all support stands to lose a lot more than it stands to gain. So I don't question your right to do it, and I don't question the idea of fan protests as a tool - but I do question the timing and I do wonder if it's not just going to make things worse.