• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Thoughts on Plymouth win from a neutral

Gabriel

Hi all,

Went down to Plymouth on Saturday to do a write-up on the Devon derby (or the Devon-Cornwall derby, as you'll call it!). Here's the link: http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2015/seventh-heaven-for-ryan-harley-as-grecians-win-devon-derby/

On the whole I thought you deserved the win, played some great football in the first half and looked solid second half. Couldn't believe Watkins and Reid were only starting their first league game this season, both pressed Plymouth really well. Seen you play three times this season (Daggers and Stanley away before), always been impressed with the way you move the ball when a lot of teams at this level hoof it. Your fans seem to have mixed views on Tisdale - reckon this result has changed things?

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Gabriel

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
He's like marmite - some love him some don't

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Saw this report come up on my twitter feed earlier. Thought it was a good capture of the game.

The result won't have changed anything on people's stance on Tisdale. We often do well against sides at the top of the division. It's the teams down the lower regions of the table who like a battle where we come unstuck (which I think you mentioned in your report if I remember correctly). He'll be judged at the end of the season.

Terryhall

Nice write-up, thanks for posting

Gabriel

Cheers Terry.

So if for your fans Tisdale will be judged at the end of the season, what is success/failure? Based on some of the signings you made in the summer I wouldn't have thought your squad should be too far off top 7.

Fareham Grecian

Cheers Terry.

So if for your fans Tisdale will be judged at the end of the season, what is success/failure? Based on some of the signings you made in the summer I wouldn't have thought your squad should be too far off top 7.
I think that's spot on. Playoffs are achievable with the squad we have.

Antony Moxey

Cheers Terry.

For some nothing less than a Champions' League win, with a team full of homegrown players, that then get sold for £20M each, before being immediately replaced by another crop of homegrown players each worth £25M will do. Oh, and while doing all that he has to sign a new contract that says he works for free.

For me, I'd be happy with a decent showing in the FA Cup and a serious challenge for a play-off spot. If we come up a little short then if we've given it a decent shot I'll live with that providing we do better next season.

Loads will now say that that means I'm typical of those who are happy with mediocrity and have no ambition. That's fine, I couldn't care less, it's football not life or death.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
For some nothing less than a Champions' League win, with a team full of homegrown players, that then get sold for £20M each, before being immediately replaced by another crop of homegrown players each worth £25M will do. Oh, and while doing all that he has to sign a new contract that says he works for free.

For me, I'd be happy with a decent showing in the FA Cup and a serious challenge for a play-off spot. If we come up a little short then if we've given it a decent shot I'll live with that providing we do better next season.

Loads will now say that that means I'm typical of those who are happy with mediocrity and have no ambition. That's fine, I couldn't care less, it's football not life or death.
I would say those are reasonable ambitions. We have no particular right to go up but a serious challenge is well within us imo. As you say a feeling we are making progress from year to year on the whole is an important aim.

For me, I think lack of ambition would be when people say we are little Exeter with a small budget and have been in fourth tier a lot so shouldn't expect any more than that. The next two months I think are key for this season, we need to ensure by the time we are out of the cup and are into playing sides a second time that we are close enough to still be in the hunt realistically. Port vale won't be easy but if we could get into the third round that could make a big financial difference not to mention the feeling of being involved at that stage. If we don't make it would hope we give them a tough game.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

This, pretty much. I think this season has been somewhat of a stuttering one due to the vast and varied injury list we've had to put up with, but with a more fully fit squad we are easily capable of a top 7 finish. As said above, though, this will need to be arrived at through finding a way of beating the supposedly weaker teams in our division.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Nice report, by the way.