• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Bury FC Official Match Day Thread

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Didn't hear it, but the OS has an excellent write-up with his views of the game. Well worth a read. (y)
It's at http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/index.aspx

rp42

What sh!te he spouts(puke)

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not a lot to add. Thought Sercombe played better than I've seen him play for a good while. Coles and O'Flynn should probably only be used from now on if there's an injury crisis. Gow looked like a luxury player who didn't do much. Gill thoroughly competent and played well, but I still prefer Doc.

Once again I got the feeling that we have the basis of a good strong team but one that it is let down by two or three players who should not be in it, especially when there are more talented fringe players to take their place. Grimes' performance just confirmed what can happen if you give the young ones a chance and a decent run of games...

A Slacker

Bennett only slightly better than Coles in the centre of defence they were both woeful...I quite liked us going forwards today, Wheeler had a very good game running at the Bury defence at every opportunity.......Nicholls had great header saved just before he scored and deserves a start now in place of the disappointing O'Flynn .....Bury will go home disappointed they didn't win though they looked the best side!
This sums it up fairly well but I disagree about O'Flynn who ran and ran first half. It was his quick thinking that set up the opening goal for Wheeler and he was much more effective than Parkin in galvanising the attack.

Our central defence was woeful today as we all know. However at times some of our attacking football was excellent particularly in the second half. Wheeler had an excellent game while I also thought that Sercombe was much more prominent and effective than he has been recently. However it was Grimes who was our outstanding player picking out either the simple or really creative pass and rarely conceding possession.

I was as frustrated as anyone that Wheeler went off but very pleased that Coles did. The change of formation and personnel, although risky, paid off.

The real plus for me was that, despite their deficiencies, the City players gave it a really good go and were clearly up for it. The second half was exciting and much more atmospheric than recent games at the park.

Already looking forward to December 20th.

Grecian1966

This sums it up fairly well but I disagree about O'Flynn who ran and ran first half. It was his quick thinking that set up the opening goal for Wheeler and he was much more effective than Parkin in galvanising the attack.

Our central defence was woeful today as we all know. However at times some of our attacking football was excellent particularly in the second half. Wheeler had an excellent game while I also thought that Sercombe was much more prominent and effective than he has been recently. However it was Grimes who was our outstanding player picking out either the simple or really creative pass and rarely conceding possession.

I was as frustrated as anyone that Wheeler went off but very pleased that Coles did. The change of formation and personnel, although risky, paid off.

The real plus for me was that, despite their deficiencies, the City players gave it a really good go and were clearly up for it. The second half was exciting and much more atmospheric than recent games at the park.

Already looking forward to December 20th.
Agree with much of this slackie. I thought Grimes was excellent throughout and you can easily imagine the boy in a higher league team. I suspect someone will come knocking perhaps even as early as January? Gilly is starting to look better as his fitness improves and Butterfield has improved the right hand side. My only wish would be to see Gosling on the left to compliment Wheeler on the right when we are at home as I would rather we went down fighting than not try to attack at all (as has been the case in recent home matches). O' Flynn who I have been critical of I thought worked really hard for the team today.

Last edited:

athenasbra

Did Nards celebrate his goal?

Willy Nilly

Surprised at the praise for Grimes. He looks a good player normally but was as bad as everyone else today and looked like someone that isn't as good as they think they are.

Red Devon

Did Nards celebrate his goal?
No!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grecian_Jay

Come on Willy old chap you know the score. Grimes is a kid and can do no wrong in fans eyes. I imagine he's watched how Sercombe has ****ed up his career and choose drink over football and he will follow suit.

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just watched the highlights on FL show. We look somewhat suspect at corners!

LL