• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Martin Ling

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
From the outside looking in it appears he was promised he could return to his job when he recovered and now Torquay have gone against their word.

Imho this appears to be disgraceful and cannot have won them many fans from their own club or the wider footballing community. I expect the players are not to happy either.

Chuckles

Not sure 100% recovery is ever considered possible

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Would it be remiss of me to ask what the nature of his illness is/was? The announcement when he was first ill made pretty grim reading, and rightly or wrongly I feared the worst. The inference now is that it was some sort of mental breakdown.

Langer

I don`t see the club had much choice if hes had a breakdown if they gave him his job back and he topped himself they would look even worse.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don`t see the club had much choice if hes had a breakdown if they gave him his job back and he topped himself they would look even worse.
Elequantly put; So I take it he suffered a nervous breakdown?

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
He could top himself in result of losing the job? Catch 22.

Bit harsh to get rid of him IMO. Hope he gets himself sorted with something else soon.

rp42

I heard it was drink related?the demon stuff got the better of him?

FAN-TATIC

From what I have been told, the above statement would be spot on.

No one has been able to provide me with any evidence to confirm or deny the validity of what I have heard.

Grecian1966

From the outside looking in it appears he was promised he could return to his job when he recovered and now Torquay have gone against their word.

Imho this appears to be disgraceful and cannot have won them many fans from their own club or the wider footballing community. I expect the players are not to happy either.
Equally in the interests of balance many a club would have taken the opportunity to dispense of him three months ago and take their chance in a tribunal citing poor results (which to be fair they were on the slide at that point). I think it was commendable that despite the fact they were always looking at replacing Ling they paid him his contract throughout this period and were extremely lucky they found a replacement who didn't charge them a fortune (expenses only). You could also argue that having dug them out of the hole created by Ling perhaps Knill is the right man and has the backing of the players?

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
No denying he has talent as a manager,Torquay were possible play off candidates until he went sick.Getting another job soon would be the best way to aid his recovery.Hope he finds employemnt soon.