• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Yeovil Town vs Exeter City - EFL Trophy match day thread

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
He didn’t say “weakened”, he said we made changes and was implying we had fresher legs as a result, hence our win.

Terryhall

I'd have thought that the results in a meaningless competition would be thought by those who think like that to also be meaningless. Mind you, James Hamon and several others might disagree with you.
I think the 10k prize per match won, the momentum / team spirit generated from a win, and the chance to give squad players time on the pitch is far from meaningless. The competition itself is a total farce since the introduction of the Academy sides and from that standpoint I would agree with describing it as a meaningless competition - it is essentially demeaned to being a series of well-sponsored friendly games with a pot to win at the end of it.

Colesman Ballz

Except that is utter nonsense. While we only had two players that started the Lincoln match in our outfield 10, we also had a number of other "qualifying" players on the basis of having made more than 40 first team appearances in their career, as well as loanee O'Shea, who is also a "qualifying" player.

"Qualifying" players, as I understand it, amongst our starting outfield 10, were:

Woodman
O'Shea
Tillson
L Martin
Stockley
Boateng

So shove that up your pipe and smoke it, Way.
Equally he went on to admit that he didn't know what the regulations were re penalty shoot outs. Clueless springs to mind !

A team manager/coach in any sport should have a through knowledge of the rules in order to exploit them to the fullest !

Spoonz Red E

Equally he went on to admit that he didn't know what the regulations were re penalty shoot outs. Clueless springs to mind !

A team manager/coach in any sport should have a through knowledge of the rules in order to exploit them to the fullest !
Even worse - the game was at Huish Park and he thought he was a Way.

Matt Russell

I think the 10k prize per match won, the momentum / team spirit generated from a win, and the chance to give squad players time on the pitch is far from meaningless. The competition itself is a total farce since the introduction of the Academy sides and from that standpoint I would agree with describing it as a meaningless competition - it is essentially demeaned to being a series of well-sponsored friendly games with a pot to win at the end of it.
Guess it's all in what you mean by a "friendly" This was a fast paced, competitive game and well worth travelling to Yeovil for - unless you live abroad?

denzel

Why on earth is he suggesting we played "a weak side" when we ended up winning? Even if we did, what is he trying to gain by raising the issue? It makes no sense.

Just as an aside, maybe we should have played our first choice keeper? I have no clue regarding the format. As a competition, I wish that Harvey character would admit its been a failure in general, and scrap it. It doesnt work in the slightest; just no point.
I think he is trying to point out that he was forced to pick a side jaded by travelling but we looked fresh with all our illegal players

P.S. We didn't 'win' we just got a winning draw!

Nigel E

"Qualifying" players, as I understand it, amongst our starting outfield 10, were:

Woodman
O'Shea
Tillson
L Martin
Stockley
Boateng
That looks right. In addition, any players starting on Tuesday who then go on to start against Notts Co will be retrospectively "qualifying". (For example, it's not inconceivable that Matt Jay might start on Saturday).

It is staggering that Darren Way doesn't know the rules, and as a consequence might have fielded players that he didn't need to. If a half-****d fan like me who doesn't care about the competition can find the rules and then work out, why can't someone actually employed to pick one of the teams be able to?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
That looks right. In addition, any players starting on Tuesday who then go on to start against Notts Co will be retrospectively "qualifying". (For example, it's not inconceivable that Matt Jay might start on Saturday).

It is staggering that Darren Way doesn't know the rules, and as a consequence might have fielded players that he didn't need to. If a half-****d fan like me who doesn't care about the competition can find the rules and then work out, why can't someone actually employed to pick one of the teams be able to?
The rules are there to prevent teams from being deliberately weakened... his complaint seems to be that we bent the rules to make ourselves unfairly strong. odd.

Grecian Max

Guess it's all in what you mean by a "friendly" This was a fast paced, competitive game and well worth travelling to Yeovil for - unless you live abroad?
You seem quite defensive that people might not bother going to JPT games or whatever they're called now.

Most people will see this as essentially a friendly or a warm up game to try different things - including the managers.

Oldsmobile-88

I quite enjoy these games..I know that the format is not to everyone’s taste,but each to their own..A tenner for adults & just a quid for kids at Yeovil,it’s cheap entertainment in today’s crazy prices at football grounds.