• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Where did it all go right?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
All guesswork. None of us Exewebbers know very much about the way Tis thinks or what his long term plans are, he is by all accounts (and from my limited experience of talking with him) very cautious about what he says to anyone he doesn't know well and trust. You can't really blame him for that.

More generally, almost all football managers talk in code and evade difficult questions. And almost all football managers regard fans as "civilians" whose views are not to be given much credence. Tis is no exception.

As regards the original question, I'm tempted to (mis)quote Zhou En-lai and say "it's too early to tell". I don't think anything has really "gone right" yet. We are doing well but we have so far had the luck which evaded us for the first few months of last season. The history of football is full of examples of teams that were miles ahead but blew it, and only last season both us and Newport turned disaster into triumph. Let's just hope we can continue to win games, one after another, and not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Matt Russell

I believe there is an ethos that he had helped to mould into what it is.
It's possible to argue that an incoming manager "buys" into an existing ethos. It's much harder to argue that Paul Tisdale, given the years he's been at SJP, isn't at the very least one of the principal driving forces behind what we now accept as our ethos.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
When talking about success or failure you also have to factor in how much the poor home results have coloured the view of the Club as a whole.

Taking into account the material improvements at the training ground and SJP, the improving reputation of the Club within football and the local community, the income now being earned by insisting on real player development from the academy leading to the first team; if our away points had been home points instead it would be harder to claim '5 years of failure' as some do.

Grecian2K

Jolly well said, Spoonz!!! (y)(y)

For most of the last five years much of the financial priority has been given toward the preparing of the infrastructure that has put together not only a crop of development players that are now being sold on for the kind of sums that, through ALL of our previous history we could hardly of dreamed of (hopefully, a continuing production line)

But, on top of that, training and development facilities for the 'Monday to Friday' job that is persuading most recently players of the calibre of Reuben, Hiram & Jayden to choose us (not to mention attract promising loanees from the Prem.)

And, as well, the long, long, long awaited ground improvements are also ACTUALLY happening at the same time.

I, 4-1, think that, all things considered our club are at one of the most secure positions that they have ever been for the longer term (I would have said "strong and stable" but don't want to tempt fate (or Jason) too much.) :D

All in all, I agree that, over the last five years (V5???) the seeds that have been sewn by the 'dreaded' TT&P might be coming to full harvest! So let's just enjoy, eh???

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great post. I agree wholeheartedly.
..........me too.

ECFC89

It was five years of failure at home though.

Everything else. Great.

geoffwp

But balance in all things 89.

Well-known Exeweb poster
When did it all go right ?, last season when troy and jmt came back from injury NO DOUBTS our form turned

STURTZ

We're all feeling pretty good right now, money in the bank, top of the league, development starting. We've got a lot of players out there playing at various clubs, we've still got a good team and we've more youngsters in the pipeline. Hopefully this is the time we can spread our wings a bit and glide into league 1 and this time with the ability to hold our own.

Established league 1 team with a decent ground would suit me.

PeteUSA

I think the secret of much of our success is the fact that Christy Pym has improved 100%. I think we would have lost to Barnet had he not pulled off a top class save in the first ten minutes or so. Not only did he clutch that header to bring it down to the ground; he also threw his body (including his head) in the line of the ball when it ran loose. An excellent upsurge in form this year, with no goals conceeded being anything to do with him.