• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Where did it all go right?

Exe on Valdez

I was understanding the question from the point of view of "How have we had such a successful 2017 so far?",
And you would be right.

I wasn't making any complacent predictions about whether it would continue, even as far as tonight's match.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tempting fate before the Barnet match
There's pushing your luck and then there's this.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good result again on Tues night

Personally, Tisdale receiving notice on his rolling contract has removed his comfort zone and reinvigorated the guy. No injuries (but then no glory trip to Brazil, for example). Fewer OAPs at long last. But mostly the club is awash with cash unlike any other time since god knows when, and frankly if we hadn't made the play-offs and weren't making a great start you would really have to question quite what it would take to bring a bit of success and some home wins.

Will we keep churning out young players who, for example, earn us millions from Prem clubs, barely end up making an appearance and end up on loan to lower league clubs? Or is this a statistical blip?

And personally I'm not about to forget the past five seasons of underachievement and appalling home form anytime soon, as should the money tree wither then they might be back all too soon.

But a great start to the season, nonetheless, so well done Tisdale and team.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will we keep churning out young players who, for example, earn us millions from Prem clubs, barely end up making an appearance and end up on loan to lower league clubs? Or is this a statistical blip?

Pym and JMT could well be the next targets for bigger clubs if their form carries on from where it is at the moment. I'd hate to lose either of them. And we still have no idea how good Jack Sparkes will be.

geoffwp

Good result again on Tues night

Personally, Tisdale receiving notice on his rolling contract has removed his comfort zone and reinvigorated the guy.
I just don't buy that reasoning Globey. IMO this isn't just a managerial job like the vast majority of managers would see it. It's a life project for the man. I don't by that mean he intends to necessarily be here for life but this club and what he and others are building is very special to him. That's probably why he is unlikely to go on to another club. It's THIS project or not at all may well be his thinking. When someone is in that mind frame you don't make them work harder, put more effort in or whatever it takes by simply saying do better or you're out as he will already be working completely immersed in the club. I think what changed was the positive contribution that previous planning was starting to bring. The seeds were sown years ago that have been recently bearing fruit with the players who have come through and will come through in the future. I personally don't believe the man's mindset has been changed by the contract issue but the players he has at his disposal has changed.

And personally I'm not about to forget the past five seasons of underachievement and appalling home form anytime soon, as should the money tree wither then they might be back all too soon.
Fortunately I don't hold on to the past, I leave it there. Live in the present day, live in the moment, it's the only place we are in.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I just don't buy that reasoning Globey. IMO this isn't just a managerial job like the vast majority of managers would see it. It's a life project for the man. I don't by that mean he intends to necessarily be here for life but this club and what he and others are building is very special to him. That's probably why he is unlikely to go on to another club. It's THIS project or not at all may well be his thinking. When someone is in that mind frame you don't make them work harder, put more effort in or whatever it takes by simply saying do better or you're out as he will already be working completely immersed in the club. I think what changed was the positive contribution that previous planning was starting to bring. The seeds were sown years ago that have been recently bearing fruit with the players who have come through and will come through in the future. I personally don't believe the man's mindset has been changed by the contract issue but the players he has at his disposal has changed.

Fortunately I don't hold on to the past, I leave it there. Live in the present day, live in the moment, it's the only place we are in.
Great post. I agree wholeheartedly.

elginCity

Great post. I agree wholeheartedly.
Ditto.

Troy Brown coming back from his lengthy injury last season was a key turning point, and it continues. Get the spine of the team consistently firing, which we do, then you're half-way there.

Red Bill

Whilst I agree that some of the past planning is bearing fruit and that must have a positive effect on the pitch and its good that he's bought into that ethos so fully, I really think you're kidding yourself if you don't believe this impending change to his employment security hasn't changed his mindset. In fact if indeed he does see it as a 'life project', that would suggest to me that he was far too comfortable in his position which IMO would certainly blur any sense of urgency to see results and would probably see him happy if he achieved results any time over the next 15 years. I'm delighted to see him turn the corner, this has never been a personal thing for me and up until 3 or 4 years ago I still regarded him as an excellent manager, but a manager is all he is and being an enigmatic oddball in the game doesn't buy him any more respect from me, nor will it stop me wanting him gone if things were to slip back to the way they've been over the last few seasons.

I find his change in approach so marked, that i'm quite frankly flabbergasted to hear people denying it. For now though, whats happening on the pitch is fantastic and he deserves full credit. He's absolutely deserved the right to stay in position and has my utmost respect. For the first time in I don't know how long we have a squad and an attitude that is making me actually expect success, and I can only thank him for that. If the current direction remains the same I have no problem in him remaining here as manager for many years to come.

geoffwp

I'm afraid you are very wrong to think I kid myself RB. That implies I know something very different but deny it, so kidding myself. Not so. I don't see him as having 'bought into ' some sort of ethos that was always here either. I believe there is an ethos that he had helped to mould into what it is. Your gasted will have to remain being flabbered.

ECFC89

Oh no not this can of worms again.

Anyone who believes it was the direct influence of this that turned the form around probably hates Tis.

Anyone who thinks it has nothing to do with the improvement of our form is stubborn within their opinions, and there was evidently an effect.

Mind you that's just mine eh?

Last edited: