• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Update on the SJP works

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why would you think that?
We were told when the changing rooms would be ready - and they are.
We were told when demolition of the OG would start - and it is about to.
Time to give credit where credit is due and have a bit of confidence in all concerned.
I was under the impression that the timescale from demolition of OG to opening of new grandstand was 18 months?

Matt Russell

I was under the impression that the timescale from demolition of OG to opening of new grandstand was 18 months?
Can I refer you to Page 1 of this thread, Post 9

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
My understanding is that only once there is a clear and level site can the final date of completion be projected with any confidence.

However the works seems to be ahead of schedule so unless there are nasty surprises after they start demolition I would hope we can beat the October 2018 handover date. Maybe not for the start of the season, which is going to cause problems re. season tickets etc., but sometime between the two.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can I refer you to Page 1 of this thread, Post 9
Thanks Matt. Let's hope so.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perhaps my words could of been better, I meant to say is it because of positioning of the grandstand, The foundation work is more specialized because basically its on the side of a small hill rather than a total flat area like the away end

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
When the open events happened the initial timescales given were that the new stand could be built in six or seven months. I believe as things progressed there were maybe a few complications which revised that, however I think it's hoped that the stand might be ready quicker if things go well and without hitches but I imagine the October date is set as more realistic than ambitious.

Once the shell of the stand is up and work centres around the inside of it and seats etc, I hope it will be possible to get the away terrace and stand moving alongside the work on the stand. I would guess that's quite a simple / shorter job with probably the building of the toilets behind the terrace being the longest part of it. Maybe even if the stand wasn't quite ready for the 18/19 season then the away end could be?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought the away end was hoping to be open for the start of next season with the new grandstand about this time next year.

IndoMike

My understanding is that only once there is a clear and level site can the final date of completion be projected with any confidence.

However the works seems to be ahead of schedule so unless there are nasty surprises after they start demolition I would hope we can beat the October 2018 handover date. Maybe not for the start of the season, which is going to cause problems re. season tickets etc., but sometime between the two.
When the OG is demolished and the digging starts some Roman coins will be found scattered around the site. All work will be stopped and the area will become one of the most important archaelogical sites in the UK. City will be forced to play at Barton Fields using sweaters as goal posts. The new grandstand will be completed in 2032.

fred binneys head

Will the coins belong to us or the council?

IndoMike

Will the coins belong to us or the council?
To me : I'm claiming in advance, until the Govt takes it all away.