• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfers in/outs 2019/20 and Retained list

StudentGrecian

I would also love to see Seymour given his chance,

StudentGrecian

Sent before I’d finished (facepalm)

Love to see Seymour given his chance before we signed anyone like D. Wilson and Abraham’s, but he is still untried and untested at this level. I don’t believe Forte’s injury problems are going to get any better, so we are desperate for another senior pro. We hit a real sticky patch last year where we just didn’t score enough goals, I don’t think you can expect a youngster to fill that void, and I don’t think Matt will either to be honest. I don’t think we need to spend money on fees, there’s players like David Ball that have been released that have scored goals consistently at league level that we should be looking at imo.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seymour, Sparkes etc will only be given their chance when they are good enough, we have to trust the manager on this...if they are not ready they won’t play...the club has a fantastic record with this policy over the last decade or so.

IndoMike

Sent before I’d finished (facepalm)

Love to see Seymour given his chance before we signed anyone like D. Wilson and Abraham’s, but he is still untried and untested at this level. I don’t believe Forte’s injury problems are going to get any better, so we are desperate for another senior pro. We hit a real sticky patch last year where we just didn’t score enough goals, I don’t think you can expect a youngster to fill that void, and I don’t think Matt will either to be honest. I don’t think we need to spend money on fees, there’s players like David Ball that have been released that have scored goals consistently at league level that we should be looking at imo.
That's what I meant/

IndoMike

I don't disagree, but nevertheless it's a massive gamble. It's probably only something we can do once (unless the player is sold). Tisdale obviously had the benefit of working with Stockley during the loan spell and was able to convince the Board that it was a good investment. That gamble paid off for us. If he'd broken his leg on Boxing Day, he would still be our player now. We'd still be playing his wages.
You can't run a football club on the basis that a player might break his leg.

IndoMike

They do. We've had a Banks, McNeil, Binney, Kellow, Jepson, Alexander, Beer, Neville, Rowbotham, Cureton, Stockley. Just asking for another one, please.

Banksy

They do. We've had a Banks, McNeil, Binney, Kellow, Jepson, Alexander, Beer, Neville, Rowbotham, Cureton, Stockley. Just asking for another one, please.
Yes , just this. I know we mustn’t bust the bank , but if we are really serious about promotion we need that little tweak to get it , just think where another twenty goals this season would have got us.
And looking back , other chances have been taken and paid off , notably Alan Banks in 1963 when we paid a then club record to Cambridge City ( £5000?) , and the late great Tony Kellow ( £12000 to Falmouth was a lot of money in the seventies ) ,plus the fee of sixty odd thousand when we bought him back from Blackpool.Maybe this time if we are serious we have to speculate to accumalate.

IndoMike

Yes , just this. I know we mustn’t bust the bank , but if we are really serious about promotion we need that little tweak to get it , just think where another twenty goals this season would have got us.
And looking back , other chances have been taken and paid off , notably Alan Banks in 1963 when we paid a then club record to Cambridge City ( £5000?) , and the late great Tony Kellow ( £12000 to Falmouth was a lot of money in the seventies ) ,plus the fee of sixty odd thousand when we bought him back from Blackpool.Maybe this time if we are serious we have to speculate to accumalate.
Sometimes it's a false economy to sign someone who is injury prone or not proven. You still have to pay that player's salary. Better to get someone who is a proven goalscorer and pay extra.
If you have a proven goalscorer it's a big help, of course. Surely we have enough money in the bank to sign just one player for a couple of hundred k.

Boyo

You can't run a football club on the basis that a player might break his leg.
Agreed, but you do have to spread the risk and generate maximum value from the money. By spending £200k on a transfer fee and then £4k / week for three years, the total cost is over £800k. Alternatively we could spend the same money of two free transfers but give them £2,600 per week (£135,000 per year). The former is clearly a greater risk in case of injury, loss of form, inability to settle, whatever. That's an overly simplistic example, but the point remains.

The other point about marquee signings is that it can create squad divisions. When your "lesser" players (the first year pro's etc) are on a few hundred quid a week and they are essentially doing the same job as matey boy on £4k, £5k, £6k / week, then that is unlikely go down well. You also cannot use financial restraints to turn down requests for pay rises in new contracts etc. The knock on effect of paying one player significantly more than others could be damaging.

Yes, a new "mega bucks" (by our standards) signing would great, but it has ramifications, and arguably is not the best use of budgets.

Banksy

Good points made there too Boyo.