• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfers in/outs 2019/20 and Retained list

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
A tried and tested striker who scores goals, mid twenties, will cost £500,000+ and would probably want £7-8k per week and a three year contract. That's a £1.5m investment, for someone who could break their leg on day 1.
Stockley..........

Stelios

Stockley..........
Exactly. We bought him for £100K and sold him for £600-£750K. You'd think we'd be able to find another £100-£200k striker somewhere on the British Isles. Plus we got the Storey money last year too. I'm not someone who thinks we should just spend loads of money we don't have in the hope of getting promoted but there must be some money somewhere.

Boyo

Stockley..........
Stockley had scored 5 goals for Aberdeen and had been loaned out to 9 Clubs prior to then. His only decent loan spell was with us. If that's your definition of 'tried and tested' then fair enough.

However, we still paid £100k, gave him a 3 year contract on (I'm guessing) £4k / week. That is a £0.75m gamble, for a Club that turns over £3m / year.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly. We bought him for £100K and sold him for £600-£750K. You'd think we'd be able to find another £100-£200k striker somewhere on the British Isles. Plus we got the Storey money last year too. I'm not someone who thinks we should just spend loads of money we don't have in the hope of getting promoted but there must be some money somewhere.
The issue with that (remembering that Stockley, I believe, was our club record signing!) is that Stockley was someone we knew about and therefore the risk involved was mitigated somewhat. There are likely to be several £100k strikers out there, but for us to put out that sort of outlay we need to be careful we get the next Charlie Austin / Dwight Gayle rather than the next Graham Cheeseman.

Better just to cultivate our own. Ben Seymour, anyone?

Stelios

Stockley had scored 5 goals for Aberdeen and had been loaned out to 9 Clubs prior to then. His only decent loan spell was with us. If that's your definition of 'tried and tested' then fair enough.

However, we still paid £100k, gave him a 3 year contract on (I'm guessing) £4k / week. That is a £0.75m gamble, for a Club that turns over £3m / year.
I thought the point Indo was making was the opposite one(!) I.e you don't have buy a 'tried and tested' 20+ goals a year striker for megabucks. There are players like Stockley who have ability but haven't found the right club. I agree Stockley was different because we knew all about him before we signed him permanently and I agree there are risks involved with most signings.

I'm 100% behind playing youth players like Seymour (y)

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought the point Indo was making was the opposite one(!) I.e you don't have buy a 'tried and tested' 20+ goals a year striker for megabucks. There are players like Stockley who have ability but haven't found the right club. I agree Stockley was different because we knew all about him before we signed him permanently and I agree there are risks involved with most signings.

I'm 100% behind playing youth players like Seymour (y)
I'd also be v. happy for Seymour to be given a chance. But the manager will need first to see him in PSFs and training to see how much he has developed, no?

IndoMike

I too would be happy for Seymour to get a run out if Matt thinks he's ready. But my point is we need to sign someone who can put the ball in the net : a fox in the box. If we don',t have such a striker it's always going to be hard work to get the points. If we had to pay 200k plus 4k a week I say go for it. You have to speculate a bit to get anywhere. We have to give the manager some bullets.

Last edited:

IndoMike

. Just to continue : it's an investment

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
The issue with that (remembering that Stockley, I believe, was our club record signing!) is that Stockley was someone we knew about and therefore the risk involved was mitigated somewhat. There are likely to be several £100k strikers out there, but for us to put out that sort of outlay we need to be careful we get the next Charlie Austin / Dwight Gayle rather than the next Graham Cheeseman.

Better just to cultivate our own. Ben Seymour, anyone?
Agreed the only trouble will be if he or as we have seen any other Academy player, comes good they will soon be whisked away by richer Clubs than ourselves.

Boyo

. Just to continue : it's an investment
I don't disagree, but nevertheless it's a massive gamble. It's probably only something we can do once (unless the player is sold). Tisdale obviously had the benefit of working with Stockley during the loan spell and was able to convince the Board that it was a good investment. That gamble paid off for us. If he'd broken his leg on Boxing Day, he would still be our player now. We'd still be playing his wages.