• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdales Contract

Langer

Highly unlikely to get a replacement manager with so many playoff position finishes on his cv.

Terryhall

Highly unlikely to get a replacement manager with so many playoff position finishes on his cv.
When Tisdale came to us he didn't have many playoff position finishes on his cv. If he does leave in the summer, I am sure we would get good quality applicants. The challenge will be to once again have a good quality interview and selection process, as we did when appointing Eamo, Inglethorpe and Tisdale.

I remain of the opinion that I hope he does agree a re-negotiated contract on more appropriate terms for a L2 football club. That is a matter between him and the club, and rightfully so.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
There will be no shortage of high calibre applicants if Tisdale does leave. The club is thought highly of, a manager will get an excellent wage at this level and most importantly time to succeed.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
It would be interesting to see what the selection criteria are for the job. I would imagine there is a lot of variance in the qualities of previous applicants.

Do they expect a good level of numeracy and financial expertise? Tis seemed to allude to the fact that our management positions have to look after that side of the business far more than other clubs. If that is true I would expect to see candidates have had at least some experience in a quantitative or financial field. I cant imagine there are many experienced football managers out there with much proper business/academic/scientific background....

Devonbean

The whole issue of questioning the suitability of a rolling contract came about as a result of a number of seasons when home form and performances were as poor as at any time in our history including (from memory) the 1983 season when Gerry Francis was at the helm.

True we were hampered by injuries to influential players although we are where we are now despite having lost the services of those same players for significant periods during this season.

One thing cannot be denied is that Tisdale’s tactical performances and that of the team generally started to improve shortly after the time when the voices of disillusionment among the supporters started to be heard. When to my mind he started to realise that perhaps he was not as secure as he believed he was.

As for the rolling contract this is always a double edged sword providing security to both parties. In an ideal world this would be the best possible arrangement as long as both parties had the same motivation and were working to the same end.
However as often quoted football is a results business and managers come and go. Sometimes, although obviously there is no guarantee, a change of manager with a fresh approach to training and tactics on the pitch can work wonders and having a manager on a rolling contract seriously limits the Club’s opportunity to freshen things up.

It is by no means clear whether Tisdale has been offered and turned down a new contract or whether the Club is still negotiating with him. However one thing I feel sure of is that if the absence of a new rolling contract is the sticking point he is very unlikely to find any new employer prepared to offer him one.

There is much debate on here on Tisdale’s value to the Club. His first few seasons were success on success each season improving on the one before with as we know in his sixth season in charge seeing us finish in League One one point off the playoffs.

This was then followed by a number of seasons in the doldrums including at times when it looked as if he could well have taken us back to the Conference and where he found us.

We have since seen us have the worst ever start followed by the best ever start to the season and are now nailed on for a place in the playoffs with still a chance of automatic promotion.

Would this have happened without the great unwashed making their feelings known....not so sure.

Whether he leaves us at the end of this season only time will tell. If he does then probably unlike any of our previous managers he will leave behind a legacy. Others have said the spadework was done before he arrived.

That may well be true but just as with any tool you have to know and be skilled in how to use it to get results so it is fair to say that he took the tools left to him and used them with skill to produce those results. Namely Academy bringing forth the talents of Grimes, Watkins and Ampadu as well as nurturing and developing the talent of the likes of Harley and Wheeler.

Are we as a Club stronger now than probably we would have been had we not had him as manager? Difficult to answer as there is no way of knowing who else we might have had. Nevertheless on principle I think we are.

Having supported City since the late 1940s I have seen some good times and some near catastrophic times. Since pre-war we have had a short tenure in the new Division Three after promotion in 1964, enjoyed a few years there following our promotion in the 70s and although going up as Champions in 1990 staying for only 2 seasons, and apart from our eighth place under Tisdale have never looked remotely like making it into the second tier.

Indeed apart from the instances quoted above until Tisdale’s arrival we have never come remotely close to a promotion spot or even the playoffs. Now even if we do not achieve automatic promotion we are certain to be in the playoffs again and for all his failings he is achieving and has achieved on a reasonably consistent basis far more than any other City manager has ever achieved.

One way or another he has also given the Club a wider profile and when we have hit the national media it has been for the right reasons.

Will we miss him if he goes? I think a lot will depend on who takes the reins and the support he is given financially by the Club Board. As a Club you can see the evidence everywhere you look on match days that we are being run in a far more professional than ever before.

We have the foundations in place to progress. It is time we threw off this mental straight jacket thinking that because to date we have spent the best part of the Club’s life in the lowest league and we are only little Exeter City and League Two or at best League One is our level and raise our aspiration levels.

We should not allow our relatively outlying location to influence this either. There are examples of Clubs in equally outlying locations such as currently Norwich and previously Carlisle, Lincoln and Grimsby, as well as many other less fashionable Clubs for example, Bournemouth, Bradford City, Swindon Town, Barnsley, Stockport County and Tranmere Rovers, all of whom have tasted life either in the top tier or second tier of the League so why not us?
Excellent post. How many other league 1/2 clubs have managers on 2 year rolling contracts?
Nobody is bigger than the Club and should not be in that position.
The Club has to try to progress and should use more positive tactics in the forthcoming playoffs and support will increase accordingly.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
The club is thought highly of....
Very true,it is. Due in no small part to what the manager and those around him have built. Well done Tis.

plymuffer

Didn't realise the fan base was so split over Tisdale until I spent a couple of days in Exeter last week and was told by the hotel chef,who was a city fan.Good manager in my opinion for what its worth.

PeteUSA

Didn't realise the fan base was so split over Tisdale until I spent a couple of days in Exeter last week and was told by the hotel chef,who was a city fan.Good manager in my opinion for what its worth.
"Told by a hotel chef"? Hell, thats pretty unanamous then? Better put Tisdale back on a two year roller before somebody else snaps him up!

KWSGrecian

Think he deserves at least a year extension regardless of if we go up this season or not. Although we've fizzled out towards the end somewhat, our start was electric along with the end of last season, indicates that Tis can still get the job done if he's put under the cosh by the fans.

Avening Posse

Think he deserves at least a year extension regardless of if we go up this season or not. Although we've fizzled out towards the end somewhat, our start was electric along with the end of last season, indicates that Tis can still get the job done if he's put under the cosh by the fans.
Not sure what he has been offered obviously, but the current one ends in November, so for all intents and purposes it ends in the summer as he has said in the public domain he will not start a season only to leave in November. I also firmly want him to stay, and expect any contract offer to reflect his contributions to date and his strategy for going forward. In terms of fizzling out, not sure what you mean ?.....our current form over 10 games puts us second only to Accrington ?....we also started badly ?. I personally do not believe the theory that the key reason things picked up was due to fans serving notice, I think it was more to do with key players returning from injury, but accept that lots do