• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tisdale's 5-year plan

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
We're currently 18 places higher in the football pyramid then when Tisdale took the job - is being 18 places better off in 10 years that good a job ?

I know it's not as clear cut as that but that's the reality

CREDYGRECIAN

Does that matter? We have in the recent past regularly had such players starting, and bar injury and a near £2M transfer fee received would have had at least two starting yesterday.

Just because you can name one instance doesn't mean it doesn't ever happen.
I couldn't give a **** as long as we win

Im just suggesting that this team made up of "home grown" youngsters is all a smoke screen

Ampadu19

At present I am happy with the progression.

Still seems to be a decent amount from the youth squad involved at present. Grimes, Bennett, Sercombe have moved on, others were not quite good enough and have been released. I am not sure if Tilson counts as YTS or not, but either way we still have Nichols and Moore-Taylor who you would consider 'first teamers', plus Hamon, Reid, Pym, Watkins & Jay from the youth who have squad numbers. I'd also consider Wheeler as someone who has benefitted as a youth player, whilst not having come up through the youth.

We have more depth in our squad than we have had for the last couple of seasons, so overall Tisdale is doing OK.

With the way we are run it is all about little incremental steps.

CREDYGRECIAN

Wheeler was 22 when he signed and isn't home grown

Hamon isn't home grown & Tillson came through Bristol rovers youth set up signing as a 19 year old

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Rae, If you had said you weren't satisfied, I think I would have turned in my grave (even though I'm not in it...yet). But will you be satisfied if we don't fulfill point no.3?
'Tis true, Mike, I am easily pleased. I will admit to having felt a slight uneasiness in recent times, however, I have high hopes for this season and feel it is time for us to be upwardly mobile once more. As for missing point 3, I think that would be dependent on how it was missed: by a slither - a little disappointed; by a country mile - some disquiet I suspect.

Avening Posse

Im betting that there won't be any plan, when the Grimes money runs out!
An interesting observation. Is his job to manage the people on the pitch and all things related to the playing side, or is he responsible for running the club as well ?. Undoubtably success on the pitch is wholly linked to success off the pitch, but also undoubtably success on the pitch is wholly linked to the people off the pitch giving people tools, something we have been rather pathetic at in my view. All things considered, at our club, as opposed to one with more acumen and tools, I think he's one of the few shining examples and a credit. I think this season is all important now though, and as much as I was upset after leaving Wimbledons ground on Saturday, I think we will be fine. When everybody is fit, the results should come, and I guess Tis stands or falls this season

Last edited:

GrecianWonder

We're currently 18 places higher in the football pyramid then when Tisdale took the job - is being 18 places better off in 10 years that good a job ?

I know it's not as clear cut as that but that's the reality
Mourinho has taken Chelsea down 10 places since he joined! He's worse than Tis!

Last edited:

PeteUSA

When everybody is fit, the results should come, and I guess Tis stands or falls this season
AP, I'm somewhat intrigued by your comment "I guess Tis stands or falls this season". Do you really envisage that Tisdale would actually admit defeat if we had a crap season this season? The only way that Tisdale is likely to "fall" is if we have such a bad season, particularly at home, that attendances continue to drop to the extent we can no longer afford to pay him. I believe that in his mind he's in the job for life, no matter how badly we might do. Furthermore I think he's in a far more powerful position within the club than many people envisage. If we go out of business, I believe he'll be putting the lights out and locking up.

Last edited:

Red Bill

Whilst I was trying and failing to get a member's democratic ballot re Tisdales posistion last season, for me the strongest argument I heard against my stand, was that with the Grimes money he had some money to spend for the first time and it would be unfair to get rid of him before he had the chance to use it. There's no point in arguing about whether that was lucky or the result of a successful youth policy, we got the money and that's that. How much input Tisdale had into how the money was spent I doubt we'll ever know but I would guess the improvements out at the C&F to enable the team to train there all year round, may well have been driven by him and should in my opinion be included as evidence that the club is making progress both with the first team and the youth.
I think many of us assumed that the intention was to have more youth players making it into the first team , but there's no point in playing them if they're not good enough and besides I think our academy has done as well as or slightly better than anyone else's so am happy that this part of the plan has been fulfilled to an extent.
My stance on Tisdale this season has been shaped by my experiences with my ballot proposal last season and there's no point in banding about words like democracy if you can't abide by the decisions, whilst I didn't get the proposal the the full democratic process, the work and research I did leading up to taking it to the board meeting did lead me to believe that I had got it wrong and that the majority didn't want Tisdale to leave. I therefore felt duty bound to give the man another chance this season.
However many of the perceived handicaps Tisdale has had previously have now been removed: The pitch at SJP has been re-layed (again), the trading facillities have been improved both for the first team and the youth, we have been able to strengthen the first team ( without too much compromise) and most importantly we have a little bit of money in the pot.
With all this in mind, at the end of this season we have a right to judge. If we achieve promotion or at least make the ply offs fairly easily, then myself and the other doubters need to give credit where credits due admit we were wrong and give the man our support. However, if we finish lower than last season or bottom half, given our improved situation this season from the supposed near disaster at the beginning of last, all those who have been lionising Tisdale have in turn to judge him honestly accept they were wrong and stop talking about him like he's a God.

Avening Posse

F
AP, I'm somewhat intrigued by your comment "I guess Tis stands or falls this season". Do you really envisage that Tisdale would actually admit defeat if we had a crap season this season? The only way that Tisdale is likely to "fall" is if we have such a bad season, particularly at home, that attendances continue to drop to the extent we can no longer afford to pay him. I believe that in his mind he's in the job for life, no matter how badly we might do. Furthermore I think he's in a far more powerful position within the club than many people envisage. If we go out of business, I believe he'll be putting the lights out and locking up.
Hi Pete
As you are probably aware, I've been pretty supportive of him and think he's been good for our club. The reason I put that comment though, was I do think he has been given a fair shout at improving the team recently, and on paper he has put together a decent squad for our division. He may not have got exactly who he wanted, but not everybody wants to move down here, and plenty of others offer more money as well. That said, he has brought a few in, and probably increased the wage bill considerably, which will need success to bring the crowds in to pay for it. But it's chicken and egg, you have to do this in football and it tends to come off if your manager has something about him, and vice versa if he doesn't. I'm sure we will be fine, but if we struggle this season, the doubters voices will be much louder and rightly so. That's all I meant, and I don't have a clue about his overall position of strength within the club