• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Return of Paul Jones

Nigel E

Agree with what you say Ant although I was at the Everton game which we lost one nil and seem to recall late in the second half when we were a goal down he ran clear and missed a decent one on one with their keeper Neville Southall trying unsuccessfully to lob the ball over him.

Also remember second half when Everton were attacking the end where City fans were the almost continual arieal assault coming from Graeme Sharp and a young Gary Lineker.
That was Alan Crawford in the game at Goodison in January 1986, right in front of the away end and think it was still 0-0 at the point. Remember it well.

And Crawford was indeed on the scoresheet at Ashton Gate

In general, Crawford was not well-liked by the Cowshed that season.

Gary Marshall didn't join us until the 90s

Last edited:

Well-known Exeweb poster
Getting past Southall was never easy : he was wider than the goal.
the ONLY time i GENUINELY thought that was when i saw Schmeichel pallister and bruce, they were just f-----g huge

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
the ONLY time i GENUINELY thought that was when i saw Schmeichel pallister and bruce, they were just f-----g huge
Brilliant MU defense that. Loved the arguments between Schmeichel and Bruce. They lived close to each other, too.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I assume he's staying on loan until the play offs have finished.

Well-known Exeweb poster
I assume he's staying on loan until the play offs have finished.
I would presume so.. and from jones's perspective you never know tis may 'throw one' and drop the 1st choise keeper for the play offs.. aint though he aint done it b4

Terryhall

Thought he might have played in the dead rubber against Colchester, although given the penalty save from Pym I'd say Tis made the right call

grecIAN Harris

Thought he might have played in the dead rubber against Colchester, although given the penalty save from Pym I'd say Tis made the right call
I dunno, Jonesy always had reasonable record of saving penalties for us. Two spring to mind instantly, his first touch as a City player at Dagenham and the one at Wembley (the first penalty to be saved at the new Wembley IIRC).

Spoonz Red E

I dunno, Jonesy always had reasonable record of saving penalties for us. Two spring to mind instantly, his first touch as a City player at Dagenham and the one at Wembley (the first penalty to be saved at the new Wembley IIRC).
The Wembley save was impressive as he also saved the follow up shot.

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Wembley save was impressive as he also saved the follow up shot.
Yeah at this level he's a decent enuf keeper.. down side is that i cant see him being with us next season.. unless someone comes in for pym.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah at this level he's a decent enuf keeper.. down side is that i cant see him being with us next season.. unless someone comes in for pym.
There must be question marks over Hamon's future with us too. I think it's a case of Watch This Space with the 'keepers.