• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Return of Paul Jones

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whoops, excuse me chaps, seem to have landed on the former players thread by some sort of accident !

Antony Moxey

Not a chance, I will never forget Noel Blake missing against Leyton orient at home years ago - he literally was a yard out with an open goal - corner came in flicked there he was open net in front of the bank nobody near him bang about 30 rows back in the bank it went......

I genuinely couldn't believe a so called professional sportsman could miss that.

Funniest thing mind was when he went to kick the post in frustration as he was a bit angry and missed that too.

No surprise mind - he was technically the worse footballer I think I've seen at pro level for Exeter
Haha, yes I remember that, missing kicking a post! Genuine lolz at that one!

Antony Moxey

No he wasn't,how's about Joe Augeste, closely followed by Gary Marshall.
Gary Marshall? Have a word. Besides, I remember seeing Gary Marshall score a winner for us at Ashton Gate in the FA Cup to set up a third round tie away at Everton. He was far from being the poorest player we ever had.

PeteUSA

Gary Marshall? Have a word. Besides, I remember seeing Gary Marshall score a winner for us at Ashton Gate in the FA Cup to set up a third round tie away at Everton. He was far from being the poorest player we ever had.
I totally agree. Why on earth are people lumping Gary Marshall in with the likes of Joe Auguste or Steve Biggins? Marshall was an excellent conventional right winger in his time, although the team he played with wasnt that clever! Local postman Kevin Malloy in goal at one point? Desperate times, but GM was in a class of his own IMHO.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with what you say Ant although I was at the Everton game which we lost one nil and seem to recall late in the second half when we were a goal down he ran clear and missed a decent one on one with their keeper Neville Southall trying unsuccessfully to lob the ball over him.

Also remember second half when Everton were attacking the end where City fans were the almost continual arieal assault coming from Graeme Sharp and a young Gary Lineker.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another thread that has gone off subject and I hold my hands up for being guilty of helping it to do so. It is though good to reminisce and share memories. Anyone know if there is anywhere here on Exeweb where those of us of a certain age can go and do just that and recall the derring dos of the likes of Charlie McClelland, Angus McKay, Ray Goddard and company.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Who cares if it stays on track - it's a fans forum there's no right or wrong

IndoMike

Agree with what you say Ant although I was at the Everton game which we lost one nil and seem to recall late in the second half when we were a goal down he ran clear and missed a decent one on one with their keeper Neville Southall trying unsuccessfully to lob the ball over him.

Also remember second half when Everton were attacking the end where City fans were the almost continual arieal assault coming from Graeme Sharp and a young Gary Lineker.
Getting past Southall was never easy : he was wider than the goal.

PeteUSA

Getting past Southall was never easy : he was wider than the goal.
Now there WAS a sad ending for a once great keeper. Okay he was a dustbin-man by trade, but that didnt hold him back. Then to see him on the bench for Bradford City, being grossly overweight - and ultimately playing for Torquay as first choice! Also agreeing that he was offering his expertise and services for money over the phone or internet! I dont charge!

IndoMike

Now there WAS a sad ending for a once great keeper. Okay he was a dustbin-man by trade, but that didnt hold him back. Then to see him on the bench for Bradford City, being grossly overweight - and ultimately playing for Torquay as first choice! Also agreeing that he was offering his expertise and services for money over the phone or internet! I dont charge!
In those days footballer's salaries were not so exorbitant and there were no juicy pundit jobs to pick up at the end of their career. Also few had any education above high school. However, he was a very good keeper in his prime.