• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Return of Paul Jones

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Where is the 5 yard line ? The only one that springs immediately to mind is what has become the five metre line in Rugby.
The secondary halfway line thats currently running across the middle of the pitch; although on reflection thats probably only a yard!

Larry Wilkie

Steve Biggins anyone?
Was thinking the same Far East Grecian. I was on the BB that day. Am I right in thinking it was laid on a plate for him, then a complete air shot from about six yards and VERY central with a completely open goal?

My mind had it down as Steve Neville who crossed, but having checked, he wasn't there that season!!

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where is the 5 yard line ? The only one that springs immediately to mind is what has become the five metre line in Rugby.
for some reason , i've always thought of the goal area line as the 5 yard line, wrong probably but there u go.

PeteUSA

Was thinking the same Far East Grecian. I was on the BB that day. Am I right in thinking it was laid on a plate for him, then a complete air shot from about six yards and VERY central with a completely open goal?
I remember Clifford Hill saying in the E&E that he'd got this major signing in the works. People were getting very excited; then came the declaration in the paper 'ITS BIGGINS' in dirty big letters! What an anti-climax. I recall he was built like a slightly shorter Peter Crouch, but with zero skill. He was with us from 86'-87', made 15 appearances, and scored 2 goals! And I was there when he shot over the bar from a yard or two.

Colesman Ballz

for some reason , i've always thought of the goal area line as the 5 yard line, wrong probably but there u go.
It's actually the six yards line 007.

Larry Wilkie

I remember Clifford Hill saying in the E&E that he'd got this major signing in the works. People were getting very excited; then came the declaration in the paper 'ITS BIGGINS' in dirty big letters! What an anti-climax. I recall he was built like a slightly shorter Peter Crouch, but with zero skill. He was with us from 86'-87', made 15 appearances, and scored 2 goals! And I was there when he shot over the bar from a yard or two.
Pete I remember that we met him at the airport when he returned from playing abroad (Was it Sweden?) in a bid to secure his signature before a "Posse of other clubs were alerted to his availability"!!

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I know its a big statement, but thinking back throughout the years, I dont recall a worse miss than Stockleys, when Foster represented him with that ball! That was definitely one where it surely would have been easier to score?
Not a chance, I will never forget Noel Blake missing against Leyton orient at home years ago - he literally was a yard out with an open goal - corner came in flicked there he was open net in front of the bank nobody near him bang about 30 rows back in the bank it went......

I genuinely couldn't believe a so called professional sportsman could miss that.

Funniest thing mind was when he went to kick the post in frustration as he was a bit angry and missed that too.

No surprise mind - he was technically the worse footballer I think I've seen at pro level for Exeter

chunkymorrinmunter

Not a chance, I will never forget Noel Blake missing against Leyton orient at home years ago - he literally was a yard out with an open goal - corner came in flicked there he was open net in front of the bank nobody near him bang about 30 rows back in the bank it went......

I genuinely couldn't believe a so called professional sportsman could miss that.

Funniest thing mind was when he went to kick the post in frustration as he was a bit angry and missed that too.

No surprise mind - he was technically the worse footballer I think I've seen at pro level for Exeter
No he wasn't,how's about Joe Augeste, closely followed by Gary Marshall.

Well-known Exeweb poster
flacky, when he arrived was pretty poor.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Each to there own